- Product Information
- Teaching Resources
Can You Believe It? 2 Book
Can You Believe It? is a three-level reading series that combines highly unusual news stories with high-frequency idioms, phrasal verbs, and fixed expressions. Students read and listen to a story (which progresses in length and difficulty throughout each text) as they look at a sequence of comic-strip style illustrations. They go on to produce idioms from the story in speaking and writing through story retelling, thought-provoking personal questions, dialogue production, and dictation. Review units provide additional practice of idioms in new contexts. Answer keys, semantic groups, grammatical tips, and usage information are included. A cassette is available at each level.
Where to orderContact your local Oxford office or distributor for information or advice on any of our materials, or to find your local ELT bookseller.
Part of... Can You Believe It?
- The series is designed for adults and young adults, and combines a holistic approach to reading with a thorough treatment of high-frequency idioms, phrasal verbs and fixed expressions.
- Highly unusual, true-life stories from around the world immediately capture students' interest. The stories progress in length and difficulty throughout each book and the series.
- Common and essential idioms are presented in engaging contexts that provide clear meaning and a natural use of new vocabulary. Idioms and expressions are systematically practised and recycled.
- Lively comic-style illustrations and tapes provide richly contextualized visual and aural reinforcement of content and idioms.
- Ample opportunities for producing idioms in speaking and writing are provided through story retelling, thought-provoking personal questions, dialogue production and dictation.
- Review units provide additional practice of form and meaning of idioms in enjoyable new contexts.
- A complete Lexicon offers further information on collocations, grammar, synonyms and antonyms.
- Join the Oxford Teachers' Club for free access to the Can You Believe It? website, which offers quizzes and answer keys for each level.