Oxford English for Careers: Nursing 2 Student's Book
Nursing 2 teaches pre-work students to communicate accurately, in English, with patients and colleagues.
- ISBN: 978-0-19-456988-0
- Pages: 136
- Binding: Paperback
- Dimensions: 276x210 inches
Nursing is ideal for pre-work students, studying at pre-intermediate to intermediate level, who will need to use English in work situations. It is also suitable for qualified nurses thinking of working in English-speaking countries.
Nursing develops the vocabulary, language, and skills that students will need when working in a medical environment. These include talking about the body, describing signs of illness, and conveying instructions to patients and colleagues.
Where to orderContact Oxford directly to place your order and for information and advice on any of our materials.
- Authentic and up-to date information in every course, written and checked by industry insiders
- Clear and straightforward structure, with each unit containing a menu of learning outcomes, and an end-of-unit checklist with 'Can do' tick boxes
- Teaches English in context, so students practise the language and skills they need for the job in real work situations
- Real-world profiles from genuine professionals in the 'It's my job' section offer authentic and engaging insights into the industry
- Extra facts, figures, quotations, and specialist terminology included in the top margin of unit pages
- Additional activities and tests in the Teacher's Resource Book make the course suitable for mixed-ability classes
- The Teacher's Resource Book provides specialist background to the industry for every unit, as well as industry tips to support non-expert teachers
- Project work in the Student's Book, additional activities on the Student's Site, and a Key words list of essential vocabulary at the end of every unit provide extra opportunities for revision
Nursing is suitable for trainee nurses, who are studying for a career in nursing, and for qualified nurses who are thinking of working in English-speaking countries, or have to deal with tourists. The course presents students with English from a variety of nursing fields, develops their communication skills, and provides background information in major medical and care concepts.
'Body Bits' focuses on a particular part or parts of the body, and extends students' vocabulary for talking about the body and its functions. The 'Signs and Symptoms' section focuses on common diseases and conditions that are relevant to a specific unit. This provides students with the necessary vocabulary for describing common signs of illness.
Listening and speaking skills are particularly emphasised and practised in Nursing, as these are essential for relations with patients. The 'Patient Care' section teaches students how to convey instructions to patients and their relatives in a sympathetic and clear way, especially if dealing with sensitive matters.
The course supports teachers in the vocational teaching situation, providing them with specialist background information for the medical industry.
1 Admission by A & E
Triage assessment, types of triage, an emergency call
2 Admission by referral
General symptoms, polite phrases, hospital admissions
Pregnancy and labour, diseases and conditions to avoid in pregnancy, from pregnancy to birth
Monitoring the effects of medication, side effects, plants used in treatment
Directing patients, the eye, eye conditions
Assessing pain, the skin, pain assessment methods, skin conditions
Staging, cancer therapy and prevention, treatment options
The digestive system, biopsy results, discussing case history
Glasgow coma scale, researching head injuries, an unconscious patient
Giving an ECG, the circulation of blood, treatments of heart problems
Post-operative complications, researching a procedure, preparing the patient for surgery
12 Infectious diseases
Changing a dressing, describing symptoms, barrier nursing
The kidney, how the kidney works, organ donation, dialysis
Manifestations of mental disorders, types of suicide
Common conditions treated in outpatients, appointments diary, examining a child
Register to enjoy 1000's of activities and ideas. Choose by age group, book title, topic or arena of study.
- Careers start here
- Technology for Engineering & Applied Sciences – Special Edition
- Commerce 1
- Commerce 2
- Engineering 1
Practise your English with the Oxford English For Careers series online.