Oxford English for Careers: Technology 2 Student's Book
Technology 2 is a course for pre-work students studying on technology-related courses, who will need to communicate accurately in English at work.
- ISBN: 978-0-19-456953-8
- Pages: 136
- Binding: Paperback
- Dimensions: 276x210 mm
Technology is ideal for pre-work students, studying at pre-intermediate to intermediate level, who will need to use English in work situations.
Technology develops the vocabulary, language, and skills that students will need to communicate effectively when presenting an idea to non-specialists, problem-solving, and discussing the latest technological innovations.
Where to orderContact your local Oxford office or distributor for information or advice on any of our materials, or to find your local ELT bookseller.
Part of... Oxford English for Careers
- Authentic and up-to date information in every course, written and checked by industry insiders
- Clear and straightforward structure, with each unit containing a menu of learning outcomes, and an end-of-unit checklist with 'Can do' tick boxes
- Teaches English in context, so students practise the language and skills they need for the job in real work situations
- Real-world profiles from genuine professionals in the 'It's my job' section offer authentic and engaging insights into the industry
- Extra facts, figures, quotations, and specialist terminology included in the top margin of unit pages
- Additional activities and tests in the Teacher's Resource Book make the course suitable for mixed-ability classes
- The Teacher's Resource Book provides specialist background to the industry for every unit, as well as industry tips to support non-expert teachers
- Project work in the Student's Book, additional activities on the Student's Site, and a Key words list of essential vocabulary at the end of every unit provide extra opportunities for revision
Technology gives students the language, information, and skills they will need for their career in the technology industry.
It presents students with English from a variety of technological fields and situations, such as manufacturing, transport, and medical technology. The course develops students' communication skills, and provides them with background information in major technological concepts.
'It's my job' sections offer students an insight into the lives of real people who work in the technology industry. The profiles are based on authentic interviews and sources, and teach students about the skills required for different business environments.
The 'Customer Care' section offers students extra speaking and writing practice, teaching them how to communicate accurately and clearly in English when explaining complex technical matters to non-specialists.
The course supports teachers in the vocational teaching situation, providing them with specialist background information for the industry.
1 Ways in to technology
Products and courses, ordering a presentation, studying technology
2 Food and agriculture
Agricultural inventions, food preservation, precision agriculture, testing fruit
3 Bridges and tunnels
Famous bridges, bridges for shipping routes, bridge types
Describing a pie chart, plastics - names and codes, the history and properties of plastics
5 Alternative energy
Decentralized energy, Wave Energy Innovator, wind power
Controlling a plane, silent aircraft, jet engines
7 Future homes
Specialized accommodation, earth homes, inside the home of the future
8 Mass transportation
Skimming - a European project, fast trains
9 Petroleum engineering
Oil platforms, a rotary derrick, oil refining
10 Environmental technology
Environmental engineers, causes of environmental pollution, cleaning water, China's eco-city
Matching robots to their applications, sensors, robot design
12 Household technology
Domestic appliances, making kitchens, eco-appliances
13 Defence technology
Civilian uses for defence technologies, military technology with a civilian application, the future of defence
Circuit symbols, explaining how a circuit works, electronic alarm circuits
15 Career development
The stages of a career, preparing for an interview
Register to enjoy 1000's of activities and ideas. Choose by age group, book title, topic or arena of study.
- Careers start here
- Technology for Engineering & Applied Sciences – Special Edition
- Commerce 1
- Commerce 2
- Engineering 1
Practise your English with the Oxford English For Careers series online.