Das große Oxford Wörterbuch Updated edition of this comprehensive bilingual dictionary specifically written for German-speaking learners of English
A revised edition of this bilingual dictionary with hundreds of new words, phrases, and meanings. Now with CD-ROM.
- ISBN: 978-0-19-430003-2
Updated with the latest vocabulary, this new edition of Das große Oxford Wörterbuch provides comprehensive language support to help students build their vocabulary and develop their English skills.
Includes authentic example sentences, usage notes, help with grammar and pronunciation, study pages, Exam Trainer, and writing tips.
Oxford 3000™ keywords are highlighted to help students identify the most important words to learn.
Now with CD-ROM.
Where to orderContact your local Oxford office or distributor for information or advice on any of our materials, or to find your local ELT bookseller.
- More than 175,000 words, expressions and examples, and more than 230,000 translations
- Usage notes explain cultural facts and explain difficult or confusing words and phrases
- Shows students how to pronounce words correctly, and shows when American pronunciation is different
- Study pages include a grammar overview, help with topics such as writing letters and emails, an irregular verbs table
- ‘Writing Tips’ boxes show how particular words and expressions can be used in essays and reports
- Corpus-based examples and translations to help students use the language with confidence
- Now with CD-ROM with pronunciation of all the English headwords, a Topic Dictionary to help students using English for other subjects (Bilingualer Unterricht), the Wordfinder Dictionary to help build vocabulary, and the Genie which looks up words for you instantly
- Includes the Exam Trainer booklet, providing valuable practice exercises and useful tips to help students prepare for the Abitur or similar examinations
This revised edition of Das große Oxford Wörterbuch is the ideal reference companion for German-speaking students preparing for the Abitur or similar school-leaving examinations. It contains all the vocabulary and help students need for English study in the gymnasiale Oberstufe. It can also be used beyond school for further study or starting out at work.
There are hundreds of new words, phrases, and meanings in this new edition of the dictionary, keeping your students up to date with today's English.
The example sentences are corpus-based, which means they are authentic, natural, and up-to-date. Usage notes throughout the dictionary explain difficult or confusing words or phrases, or give extra information about an aspect of life or language in Britain and America. Through using this dictionary, students not only learn the meaning of the word, but also how to use it correctly.
'Writing Tips' boxes show how particular words and expressions can be used in essays and reports.
The Oxford 3000™ keywords are highlighted to help students identify the most important words to learn.
Study pages provide useful information for reference, including an overview of English grammar, an irregular verbs table, geographical names, expressions using numbers, American English, and maps of Germany, Great Britain, America, and Australia. The study section also provides help with topics such as writing letters and emails, text messaging, and phoning.
The CD-ROM includes:
- Headwords pronounced in British or North American English
- A Topic Dictionary – particularly helpful for students using English for other subjects (Bilingualer Unterricht)
- Access to the Oxford Guide to British and American Culture
- Hundreds of illustrations, including photos and video clips
- A bank of examples of English in use
- Language exercises to practise topic vocabulary
- The Wordfinder Dictionary helps build vocabulary
- The Genie looks up words for you instantly when you are using the Internet, or reading other documents in English
The Exam Trainer provides valuable practice exercises and useful hints and tips to help students prepare for the Abitur or similar school-leaving examinations. Topics covered include how to structure essays, how to expand your vocabulary, and improving your dictionary skills.
With its clear, 2-colour layout, and a guide to phonetic symbols at the bottom of every page, Das Große Oxford Wörterbuch is the easy-to-use reference tool.