- Product Information
- Teaching Resources
Oxford Picture Dictionary Vocabulary Teaching Handbook Reviews research into strategies for effective vocabulary teaching and explains how to apply these using OPD.
Winner American Inhouse Design Award
A self-directed professional development resource which reviews research into vocabulary learning strategies, lesson techniques and activities, and links this to the OPD program.
- Part of: Oxford Picture Dictionary
- Level: Beginner to Intermediate
- ISBN: 978-0-19-474024-1
- Pages: 40
- Binding: Paperback
- Dimensions: 279x216 mm
A fully integrated vocabulary development program in American English, progressing from essential words to the more complex, delivered in short thematic units. Realistic scenarios and modern artwork are easy to relate to and these, together with story pages and practice exercises, have been applauded for their success in promoting critical thinking skills. Content is fully supported by a range of components - including Workbooks, Classroom Activities, Audio and website.
Where to orderContact your local Oxford office or distributor for information or advice on any of our materials, or to find your local ELT bookseller.
Part of... Oxford Picture Dictionary
- Links the content of OPD to independent research into language acquisition, and explains how to apply proven techniques using the program's content
- Easy-to-use activities to simplify lesson planning
- The teacher website provides extra resources and reference material at www.oup.com/elt/teacher/opd
The Vocabulary Teaching Handbook is a professional development resource and part of the Oxford Picture Dictionary program.
Content of the Dictionary is organized within 12 thematic units, from Everyday Language, to People, to Housing, to Food, to Recreation. Each unit starts with an 'Intro' page (new to this edition) and ends with a story page, with single or double-page sub-topics introducing new words in a realistic visual context and easy-to-learn 'chunks'. The target new vocabulary is listed, and simple practice activities help students to put their new words into practice. Story pages include pre-reading questions to build previewing and predicting skills, and post-reading questions and role-play activities to support critical thinking and to encourage students to use the new language they have learned. Rich visual contexts recycle words from the unit.
Register to enjoy 1000's of activities and ideas. Choose by age group, book title, topic or arena of study.
- OPD Second Edition Classroom Presentation Tool
- Interactive Software
- Oxford Picture Dictionary Second Edition
- OPD Second Edition Program Tour">OPD Second Edition Program Tour
- OPD Second Edition Grammar Worksheets