- Product Information
- Teaching Resources
Oxford Picture Dictionary Vocabulary Teaching Handbook Reviews research into strategies for effective vocabulary teaching and explains how to apply these using the OPD.
Second Edition Jayme Adelson-Goldstein
Winner American Inhouse Design Award
Oxford Picture Dictionary Vocabulary Building
Handbook is a self-directed professional
development resource which reviews
research into vocabulary learning strategies,
lesson techniques and activities, linking all
three to he Oxford Picture Dictionary program.
- Part of: Oxford Picture Dictionary
- Level: Beginner to Intermediate
- ISBN: 978-0-19-474024-1
Click for educational discount pricing
- Pages: 40
- Binding: Paperback
- Dimensions: 279x216 inches
A fully integrated vocabulary development program in American English, progressing from essential words to the more complex, delivered in short thematic units. Realistic scenarios and modern artwork are easy to relate to and these, together with story pages and practice exercises, have been applauded for their success in promoting critical thinking skills. Content is fully supported by a range of components - including Workbooks, Classroom Activities, Audio and website.
Part of... Oxford Picture Dictionary
- Links the content of OPD to independent research into language acquisition and explains how to apply proven techniques using the program's content
- Easy-to-use activities to simplify lesson planning
- The teacher website provides extra resources and reference material at www.oup.com/elt/teacher/opd
Content is organized within 12 thematic units, including Everyday Language, People, Housing, Food and Recreation.
Each unit starts with an Intro page (new to this edition) and ends with a story page, with single or double-page sub-topics introducing new words in a realistic visual context and easy-to-learn "chunks."
The target new vocabulary is listed and simple practice activities help students put their new words into practice.
Story pages include pre-reading questions to build previewing and predicting skills and post-reading questions and role-play activities to support critical thinking and to encourage students to use the new language they have learned.
Rich visual contexts recycle words from the unit. This structure is designed to address the needs of multilevel classrooms.
Supporting components include more guidance on this topic as well as assessing needs and lesson planning. (available in English only).
Register to enjoy 1000's of activities and ideas. Choose by age group, book title, topic or arena of study.
- OPD Second Edition Classroom Presentation Tool
- Interactive Software
- Oxford Picture Dictionary Second Edition
- OPD Second Edition Program Tour">OPD Second Edition Program Tour
- OPD Second Edition Grammar Worksheets