- Product Information
- Teaching Resources
Oxford Student's Dictionary for learners using English to study other subjects A new edition of the dictionary for learners using English to study other subjects, or preparing for IELTS or TOEFL® examsNew Edition
Updated with the latest vocabulary and NEW iGuide on the CD-ROM, the Oxford Student's Dictionary helps students learn the vocabulary they need to study other subjects in English (Biology, Maths, Science, Travel and Tourism, etc).
- Level: Upper-Intermediate to Advanced (B2-C1)
Updated with hundreds of new words, the Oxford Student's Dictionary is a corpus-based dictionary with the curricular, academic and general English vocabulary students need to know to study other subjects in English. It helps students prepare for international exams such as TOEFL® and IELTS.
The CD-ROM includes the complete dictionary and allows students to search for words by subject or topic and to create their own word lists in the My Topics Dictionary.
NEW on the CD-ROM: the iGuide, an interactive tutorial to help students explore dictionary entries.
Where to orderContact your local Oxford office or distributor for information or advice on any of our materials, or to find your local ELT bookseller.
- 500 new words
- Over 52,000 words, phrases and meanings in British and American English with curricular words highlighted
- Over 30,000 example sentences show how words are used
- Collocations and thesaurus boxes help students expand their vocabulary and sound more natural
- 40 Reference pages help students improve their academic writing and study skills
- Over 200 diagrams and illustrations make it easier to understand and describe scientific and technical processes
- Oxford 3000™ keyword entries show students the most important words to know in English, and Academic Word list words are also clearly marked
- CD-ROM includes the full A-Z dictionary, Oxford Wordfinder Dictionary, the NEW iGuide, Oxford Genie, Topic Dictionary, My Topics Dictionary, plus language games and exercises to build vocabulary and practise for exams
The Oxford Student's Dictionary is a corpus-based dictionary for students using English to study other subjects. It covers over 52,000 words, phrases, and meanings in British and American English, used in general and academic English. It also incorporates curricular vocabulary, and over 30,000 example sentences to show how words are used. This new edition includes 500 new words, including e-ticket, webinar, and HDTV.
The curricular vocabulary includes subjects such as Art, Biology, Business Studies, Computing, Geography, History, Literature, Mathematics, Music, Science, Sport, Travel and Tourism, and much more. The curricular vocabulary is labelled, showing students the subject that uses the word.
Academic Word List words are clearly marked, and the Reference Pages include the full list, as well as tips for students on using the Academic Word List to improve their writing.
The dictionary identifies the 3,000 most important words to know in general English (the Oxford 3000™). Each Oxford 3000™ word has a keyword entry, which often includes additional information (synonyms, opposites) to help students learn related words.
Additional information shown in blue boxes helps students build vocabulary and use words correctly. These include Collocations and Patterns boxes, Related Vocabulary boxes, and Thesaurus boxes.
Scientific and technical processes can be difficult to understand and to describe. The 200+ illustrations and diagrams make it easier, clearly showing processes such as the carbon cycle, the structure of the skin, the earth's atmosphere, and water purification.
40 Reference Pages include information on using the dictionary for CLIL, practice for IELTS, improving writing skills with the Academic Word List, interpreting graphs, the language of literary criticism, the periodic table of contents, and much more.
Students can use the CD-ROM to search the complete A-Z dictionary and illustrations. They can hear headwords pronounced in British or American English and can record their own voice to practise pronunciation.
The CD-ROM includes the new iGuide, an interactive tutorial to help students explore dictionary entries.
The Topic Dictionary on the CD-ROM allows students to search for words by content area, and create their own word lists in the My Topics Dictionary. Students can add their own notes to entries.
The CD-ROM includes the Oxford Wordfinder Dictionary. Students look up a word they know, such as teacher, and find words they don't know, such as lecturer and syllabus. Language games help consolidate new vocabulary.
When using the Internet or reading Word documents, the pop-up Oxford Genie means students can look up any words they don't know, and hear them pronounced.
About Oxford 3000™These words are the most important because they occur frequently in the language, are widely used (in Science, Arts, spoken English, etc), or because there are no alternative words to express the same meaning (for example, vegetables, hungry, aunt). Oxford 3000™ keywords are used in the Oxford Wordpower Dictionary, 3rd edition, and the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary 7th and 8th editions.
With the Oxford Student's Dictionary CD-ROM students can:
- Search the complete Oxford Student's Dictionary, including hundreds of illustrations, and the Oxford Learner's Wordfinder Dictionary
- Hear the pronunciation of all headwords in British and American English
- Record their own voice to practise pronunciation
- Search the words needed for each content area in the Topic Dictionary
- Explore dictionary entries with the iGuide, the NEW interactive tutorial
- Prepare for exams using the vocabulary-building and exam practice exercises
- Search the Picture Dictionary, with hundreds of illustrations, including video
- Create personal glossaries and word lists in the My Topics Dictionary and add their own notes to entries
- Look up words they don't know and hear them pronounced when using the internet or reading Word documents with the pop-up Oxford Genie
Inside Oxford Student's Dictionary for learners using English to study other subjects (3)
General English plus curricular and academic vocabulary for students studying other subjects in English (biology, maths, science, travel and tourism, etc).