Zig-Zag Island Class Book
A starter course for the very young that introduces English through play.
- ISBN: 978-0-19-432875-3
- Binding: Paperback
- Dimensions: 216x276 mm
Zag-Zag Island, is a wordless starter book to introduce young children to oral English.
Zig-Zag Magic provides a gentle introduction to reading and writing.
Kontakty na knihkupectvíContact your local Oxford office or distributor for information or advice on any of our materials, or to find your local ELT bookseller.
Part of... Zig-Zag Island / Zig-Zag Magic
- Attractive, full-colour illustrations - no text in Zig-Zag Island
- Gentle introduction to reading and writing in Zig-Zag Magic
- Songs, chants and games
- Children are introduced to language through play, ensuring that their first encounter with English is non-threatening and fun.
- Children join the characters Katy and Tom as they travel around an island inhabited by animals in Zig-Zag Island, the first level, and around another island occupied by magic characters in Zig-Zag Magic , the second level. This sets the context for songs, games and stories covering a variety of topics such as the family, toys and food.
- There are no words in the Zig-Zag Island coursebook; each unit focuses on a different story told entirely through the illustrations. This allows children to take part in communicative activities without worrying about written forms. Zig-Zag Magic introduces reading and writing at a very gentle pace.
- At each level puzzle pages, featuring a wide variety of puzzles, keep children attentive and motivated and help to develop thinking skills.
- Cut-outs for easy-to-make items such masks, puppets and cards are included.
- At each level posters and flashcards provide the stimulus for a number of games.
Zag-zag Island makes children's first encounter with English a non-threatening experience, introducing them to language through play. There are no words in the coursebook, so that children can take part in communicative activities and avoid any confusion with written words.
Children join the characters Lucy and Tom as they travel around the island, with each unit focusing on a different story. Each story is told in pictures, without text.
In addition there are games, cut-outs, puzzle pages etc. The Teacher's Book contains brief teaching notes and suggestions for linking the course topics with the rest of the curriculum to enrich children's learning experience and help children become part of the school community.