Cheryl Boyd Zimmerman, Arline Burgmeier, Kent Richmond, Bruce Rubin, and Lawrence J. Zwier
Inside Reading Second Edition is a five-level academic reading series that develops students’ reading skills and teaches key academic vocabulary from the Academic Word List.
With a new Introductory level, Inside Reading Second Edition prepares students to understand academic texts, while acquiring key academic vocabulary from the Academic Word List.
Each unit in Inside Reading features two high-interest reading texts from an academic content area, reading skills relevant to the academic lesson, and targeted words from the Academic Word List.
- Student Book
Where to orderContact your local Oxford office or distributor for information or advice on any of our materials, or to find your local ELT bookseller.
- Explicit reading skills, such as inference, working with graphs and tables, annotating and highlighting, and recognizing context clues, provide the foundation for effective, critical reading
- High-interest texts from academic content areas, such as psychology, engineering, the arts, technology, and business, motivate students
- Systematic acquisition of the entire Academic Word List through targeted receptive and productive activities creates independent word learners
- Examples from the Oxford English Corpus teach real-life English
- NEW! Introductory level
- NEW! Digital Resources for Teachers – iTools digital resources build language proficiency through authentic videos, audio, and whole-class vocabulary activities
Inside Reading Second Edition combines reading skills development with key vocabulary from the Academic Word List, to give students the tools they need to understand academic texts.
Each unit features two high interest readings. Topics include Sociology, Nutrition, Architecture, and Business, among many others. At the higher levels of Inside Reading, reading texts are adapted from authentic, well-known sources such as the Wall Street Journal, Popular Science, and The New York Times, and from acclaimed authors such as Malcolm Gladwell, James Surowiecki, and Jared Diamond. Authentic readings expose students to real-world, high interest content and authentic language.
Explicit reading skill instruction provides the foundation for effective critical reading. At all levels, Inside Reading covers reading skills that are vital to student success in the academic classroom, such as previewing and predicting, finding the main idea, scanning, and evaluating.
Inside Reading teaches systematic acquisition of the entire Academic Word List across the 5 levels: 570 words in total. Students first encounter the unit vocabulary words in a pre-unit self-assessment exercise, enabling them to check how familiar they are with the vocabulary they will encounter in the unit. These words are highlighted in the reading texts, meaning that students can learn them in context.
Example sentences from the Oxford English Corpus teach real-life English, based on authentic texts.
For the teacher, Inside Reading iTools provides a bank of digital resources including authentic video, fun vocabulary activities for whole-class interaction, animated presentations that focus on reading skills, print-and-go worksheets for extra practice, and audio recordings of all texts and interactive scripts to help students further their understanding.
iTools also includes customizable mid-term, end of unit and final tests to evaluate students’ progress.
Inside Reading Second Edition includes:
Inside Reading Second Edition ...
Inside Reading Second Edition ...
|978-0-19-441626-9||Inside Reading Second Edition Introductory Student Book New|
|978-0-19-441636-8||Inside Reading Second Edition Introductory iTools New|
Register to enjoy 1000's of activities and ideas. Choose by age group, book title, topic or arena of study.
- Inside Reading – Table of Contents
- A Quick Guide to Inside Reading, 2nd edition
- Student Book Sample Units
- Audio Recordings
- Assessment Program Sample Units