- Product Information
- Teaching Resources
Bringing creative teaching into the young learner classroom Ideas and activities to personalize for your young learners
Lynne Cameron and Penny McKay
Discover how to use creative, personalized activities to inspire young learners (5-12 years) and to develop the skills and confidence they need to succeed in language learning.
- Part of: Into the Classroom
- ISBN: 978-0-19-442248-2
- RRP: £ 11.00
- Pages: 104
- Binding: Paperback
- Dimensions: 276x210 mm
Creative, personalized teaching can inspire children, create a love of a language, and develop the skills and confidence they need for successful language learning. But how does it work, and how do you implement this child-centred approach?
This practical guide helps you understand the learning needs of young learners, shows you what you can do. and explains why it works.
Part of... Into the Classroom
- Describes and explains how to understand, challenge and support young learners
- Tips on using technology, using make believe, assessment, and bringing the real world into the classroom
- 'Try this' ideas show you how to introduce a new activity
- 'Why this works' explains the benefits of a specific activity or approach, helping you decide if it is appropriate for your learners
- Includes ideas for developing your own English, both inside and outside the classroom
- Written by two experienced teachers and teacher trainers
Bringing creative teaching into the young learner classroom is a practical guide for teachers of 5-12 year olds to help you make an informed choice about using personalized ideas and activities to encourage language learning.
The contents of the book include: Knowing and challenging your learners; Encouraging your students to learn; Going beyond the coursebook; Empowering your learners; Assessment Playing with the sounds of English; Bringing the real world into the classroom; Using make believe; Performance and metaphor for the teacher: Language and cultural contexts
The accompanying website at includes: 'Try this' ideas for the classroom; All the practical teaching ideas and the tips from the book as PDFs; Useful websites A categorised list of useful websites for preparing lessons for young learners.
- '...non-native speaker teachers can find useful strategies to develop their proficiency in the target language, native-speaker teachers can pick up ideas on how to understand, ...and the new cultural context where they are to teach.'
Lee Van Canh, Modern English Teacher - Volume 21/4
- 'This is an excellent book for less experienced teachers of young learners.'
Humanising Language Teaching Magazine for teachers and teacher trainers
Register to enjoy 1000's of activities and ideas. Choose by age group, book title, topic or arena of study.
- Bringing technology into the classroom - Gordon Lewis
- Bringing creative teaching into the young learner classroom - Lynne Cameron and Penny McKay
- Bringing extensive reading into the classroom