- Product Information
- Teaching Resources
Oxford Picture Dictionary for the Content Areas English Dictionary
Second Edition Dorothy Kauffman, Gary Apple, and Kate Kinsella
This complete language development program presents and reinforces the content vocabulary and academic language that are required for students to think, speak, read and write about social studies, science, and math.
- ISBN: 978-0-19-452500-8
Click for educational discount pricing
- Pages: 196
- Binding: Paperback
The Oxford Picture Dictionary for the Content Areas Monolingual has over 1,600 words and 77 topics grouped into 10 thematic units. This dictionary makes content vocabulary accessible by showing it in context with rich visual support. Color coding and numbered topics make navigating the Dictionary easy. Every topic features an Academic Language Point and practice activity focusing on grammar, language skills and critical thinking skills. Unit expansion pages feature graphic organizers that review unit vocabulary and generates interest and pre-reading activities that activate prior knowledge, check comprehension and facilities oral language development.
- Over 1,500 social studies, science, and math content terms illustrated with crystal-clear artwork that makes the meanings easy to understand.
- NEW Unit Expansion pages focus on academic reading, writing, and critical thinking skills.
- NEW Exercise banners on the page enable students to put the words to use in academic speaking and writing.
Accelerate your student's academic language development with the second edition of the Oxford Picture Dictionary for the Content Areas program. This program:
Uses direct, explicit vocabulary instruction, which improves learning outcomes for ELLs and struggling learners.
Helps English learners and struggling learners acquire new content area vocabulary and build word knowledge from incremental, repeated and varied exposures to words.
Has an instructional routine that uses the research-based Gradual Release of Responsibility, Productive Partnering and other models as an efective way of increasing language acquisition.
Is standards based and aligned to the Common Core State Standards and other leading research on what works most efectively.
Uses sca?olded and di?erentiated instruction to improve vocabulary acquisition for English language learners.
Register to enjoy 1000's of activities and ideas. Choose by age group, book title, topic or arena of study.
- Teaching with the Oxford Picture Dictionary for the Content Areas
- Authors and Advisors
- The Oxford Picture Dictionary for the Content Areas, Second Edition
- The Oxford Picture Dictionary for the Content Areas, Second Edition, English/Spanish Edition