Specially created for Germany, this edition aligns the successful Headway syllabus to the Common European Framework (CEF).
The world's best-selling adult English course - a perfectly-balanced syllabus with a strong grammar focus.
With its proven methodology, Headway is the course you can always trust.
The strong grammar focus, clear vocabulary syllabus and integrated skills work give you lessons that really work in class. Each level fits with the relevant CEF band, and grammar overviews within the appendices at each level include explanations in German.
- Student’s Book with CD, Workbook with CD (Level A1)
- Student’s Book with CD, Workbook with CD and CD-ROM (Levels A2 and B1)
- Teacher’s Book
Where to OrderContact your local Oxford office or distributor for information or advice on any of our materials, or to find your local ELT bookseller.
- All-in-one Student’s Packs with audio material and Workbook practice offer excellent value
- Up-to-date reading and listening texts
- Learning progress can be regularly checked against the CEF ‘can-do’ statements
- Two pages of extra practice at the end of each unit offer self-study opportunities
- Bilingual wordlists at each level support language acquisition
- An appendix at each level includes a grammar overview with explanations in German, and additional German support for beginner learners
- ‘Music of English’ section encourages correct intonation and pronunciation
- Interactive CD-ROMs at A2 and B1 and website support offer additional practice for all types of learners
It's the world's best-selling adult English course - but why?
How does Headway deliver lessons that really do work in class?
Short answer: methodology.
Headway's balanced methodology combines the best of traditional approaches - solid grammar and practice, vocabulary development etc - and newer approaches, such as communicative role-play and personalization.
Authors Liz and John Soars have developed a set of principles which "... is a summary of all we believe when writing and teaching."
Here are three of them:
i) Grammar has a core place in language teaching and learning.
ii) A wide variety of practice tasks in all the four skills are essential to language learning.
iii) Everyday expressions, particularly of spoken English, also need a place in the syllabus. These can be functional, social, situational or idiomatic.
Each level fits with the relevant CEF band, with the B1 level split into two volumes to reflect the higher syllabus load and to make sure that this level is given sufficient attention and practice. Each level includes 10 units and is designed to be completed in two semesters.
For B2 level, follow on with the Upper Intermediate/B2 level of New Headway. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.