Christina Latham-Koenig and Clive Oxenden
Kate Chomacki and Jerry Lambert
English File's unique, lively and enjoyable lessons are renowned for getting students talking. In fact, 90% of English File teachers we surveyed in our impact study found that the course improves students' speaking skills.
- Уровень: A1 - C1+
How will English File get your students talking?
Lessons and activities that provide the necessary language, motivation and opportunity for students to talk with confidence.
Learners build confidence to communicate with a proven balance of Grammar, Vocabulary, Pronunciation and Skills Development in every File.
Teachers and students have access to all their English File resources - video, audio, worksheets and much more - in one easy to manage place.
- Student's Book with Online Practice
- Workbook with key
- Workbook without key
- Teacher's Guide with Teacher's Resource Centre
- Student's Book/Workbook Multi-Pack A
- Student's Book/Workbook Multi-Pack B
- Student's Book e-book
- Workbook Classroom Presentation tool
- Student's Book Classroom Presentation Tool
- Class Audio CDs
- Class DVDs
- Online Practice
- Say It: English Pronunciation app
- Teacher's Resource Centre
- NEW and updated texts, topics and listenings, based on feedback from English File teachers.
- NEW Teacher's Resource Centre allows you to manage all English File resources and teaching materials in one place online.
- NEW video listening activity integrated in to each even-numbered File. These short documentaries and dramas make class time more dynamic and exciting.
- NEW Classroom Presentation Tools show the course content on screen, making it easier than ever for teachers to deliver heads-up, engaging lessons.
- NEW Online Practice provides learners with extra practice activities for each File and allows them to check their progress.
- NEW Sound Bank videos provide unique opportunity to watch and listen to a clear model of the English sounds
- NEW interactive videos enable students to listen and record themselves as part of the Rob and Jenny drama.
The course offers a range of materials that you can use according to your student's needs and the time and resources you have available:
Student's Book with Online Practice allows students to practise and develop their language skills, catch up on lessons they have missed and track progress with Online Practice.
Student's Book e-book and Online Practice are both available to purchase individually.
Workbook reinforces each lesson and can be used as extra practise during class, or set as homework.
Enhanced Video integrated into the Student's Book. Video listenings integrated into each File and Practical English activities follow the entertaining drama with Rob and Jenny.
Extra Video on Online Practice with Sound Bank Videos that give the students the unique opportunity to listen to a clear model of the English sounds and interactive videos that allow students to practise the language from the Practical English lessons.
The Teacher's Guide with Teacher's Resource Centre gives you everything you need to create flexible lessons that work for your students.
Student's Book Classroom Presentation Tool and Workbook Classroom Presentation Tool show the course content, on screen, making it easier than ever for teachers to deliver heads-up, engaging lessons.
Quick Tests and File tests for every File, as well as Progress Tests, an End-of-course Test, and an Entry Test, which you can use at the beginning of the course.
Watch the video below to hear Co-author Christina explain how the team finds interesting material for the books.
Teacher's Resource CentreAll your English File resources available to manage online or download in one place.
- All the Student's Book audio/video files and scripts
- Detailed lesson plans from the Teacher's Guide
- Answer keys
- All the photocopiable activities from the Teacher's Guide, including customisable versions
- All the Workbook audio files and scripts
- Tests and assessment material, including: an Entry Test;
- Progress Tests; an End-of-course Test; a Quick Test for every File; and complete test for every File. There are A and B versions of all the main tests and audio files for all the
- Listening tests
- CEFR documents
Online PracticeOnline Practice offers a variety of digital resources and interactive elements to use both inside and outside the classroom.
- Look again: students can review language from every lesson.
- Practice: extra Reading, Writing, Listening, and Speaking practice. Plus extra video content that includes:
- Interactive video to practise the language from the Practical English lessons that follow the Rob and Jenny drama
- Sound Bank videos offer students the unique opportunity to watch and listen to a clear model of the English sounds
- Video listening activities integrated into each File.
- Check your progress: students can test themselves, get instant feedback, and try an extra challenge.
- Resources: All Student's Book audio, scripts, wordlists, dyslexia-friendly texts, and CEFR Language Portfolio. The access card for Online Practice can be found at the back of the Student's Book.
CPTThe Student's Book Classroom Presentation Tool and Workbook Classroom Presentation Tool capture students' attention with full-screen activities, audio and video on screen.
- Deliver the Student's Book on-screen via your interactive whiteboard, projector or classroom display device.
- Launch activities straight from the page, and play audio and video at the touch of a button.
- Use online or offline, on a tablet or computer, and your notes and web links will update across your devices.
- Quick and easy set up on Oxford Learner's Bookshelf.
This app allows students to hear the Oxford model, see the soundwave, then record and compare their pronunciation. Instant, personalised audio-visual feedback will help students to identify precisely what they need to improve. It's quick, effective and fun to use.
Tap an illustration to hear individual sounds from the English File Sound Bank and connect tricky sounds to words and images, make learning easier.
Learn more about the Say It: English Pronunciation app for iOS and Android.
English File has supported millions of students to get talking in English for over 20 years. An impact study* was conducted to gain an in-depth understanding of how teachers feel that English File has helped students’ English speaking skills.
Download the summary report (PDF, 4MB)
* An impact study is research that investigates a particular change or outcome that a product or service has on the group of people it is intended to help or benefit.
Found to improve students’ English speaking skills.
- 90% of teachers who took part in this impact study believe that English File has helped to improve students’ speaking skills.
- 84% think that English File helps students speak English more confidently.
- The main aspects of the course that have the biggest impact on students’ speaking skills are Practical English vocabulary, role plays, communicative activities and collaborative tasks.
- Surveyed participants cited two key factors for this improvement in speaking skills:
- Students knowing more vocabulary and expressions on specific topics
- Students being more fluent in speaking
- Participants also cited other factors such as:
- Better pronunciation by students
- Increased grammatical accuracy in students’ speaking
- Topics that are related to students’ interests and motivate them to participate in speaking tasks.
"The Practical English section is rich and interesting. The topics are well organized and well written. The units flow naturally. The Teacher’s Book is outstanding and this includes the communicative photocopiables. English File is the favourite book in our school among students and teachers."
"The course uses a more adult range of topics and the students are very involved in the conversation. We often start from a reading comprehension, which provides students with the necessary vocabulary, then we increase our information thanks to a listening activity and the students express their point of view in the final discussion, so they are able to improve their English gradually and without any anxiety."
"I find the Colloquial English sections very practical as they provide students with real life situations and listening [activities] which lead into a free speaking section at the end. Highly motivating…"
"The topic about culture shock was really motivating…The whole lesson was about free talking, agreeing, disagreeing and as the topic was extremely interesting, they were really active. It was a great opportunity to talk about bias, prejudice etc."
The English File impact study was conducted in January and February 2018. 299 teachers in 33 countries took part.