Liz and John Soars and Paul Hancock
Updated with new texts, topics and themes, Headway 5th edition provides fresh and relevant English instruction that is tailored to your students’ needs.
Headway 5th edition provides fresh, relevant English instruction needed for success today.
Headway and its award-winning authors, Liz and John Soars, are names that have become synonymous with English Language Teaching and learning. Teach with Headway’s perfectly-balanced grammar and skills syllabus, based on the course’s world-renowned methodology.
Headway 5th edition retains the course’s trusted methodology and has been updated with new texts, topics and digital resources.
- Student's Book with Online Practice
- Workbook with Key
- Workbook Without Key
- Teacher's Guide with Teacher's Resource Centre
- Student's Book A with Online Practice
- Student's Book B with Online Practice
- Class Audio CDs
- Student's Book Classroom Presentation Tool
- Workbook Classroom Presentation Tool
- Online Practice
- Teach practical, real life English that is relevant to your students’ lives with new topics and themes grounded in today’s reality.
- Bring unit topics to life with the new unit opener page which include inspiring photographs and accompanying video introductions engage students with the unit topic.
- Download and adapt material for your students with the Teacher’s Resource Centre which provides all your Headway resources, stored in one place to save you time.
- Students can look again at activities from previous lessons, do extra skills practice, and check their progress with instant feedback.
90% of teachers believe Headway has helped their students progress to the next level of study.* Its balanced methodology of vocabulary, grammar and integrated skills provides the right level of challenge for students.
Headway 5th edition listens to feedback from teachers and focusses on topics and activities that are relevant and useful to today’s adult students, whilst retaining the trusted methodology teachers love.
Combining practical, real life content for today’s students with flexible digital resources that are clearly linked to the Headway syllabus, the course ensures students are engaged and motivated for success.
* The Headway Oxford Impact study was conducted in January and February 2018. 170 teachers responded. Oxford Impact is a unique way of evaluating the impact that educational products and services from Oxford University Press have on teaching and learning.
Oxford English Vocabulary Trainer appBuild your English vocabulary with the Oxford English Vocabulary Trainer, your personal English tutor!
An adaptive app that gives students personalized, intelligent feedback and guides them to a better understanding of the words they are learning.
It supports learning of key words from all levels of Headway 5th edition, and offers students the opportunity to create personalised word lists using vocabulary from the Oxford Dictionary.
Learn more about the Oxford English Vocabulary Trainer app.
Headway Impact Study
Headway has helped millions of students make progress in English for over 30 years. An impact study* was conducted in order to gain an in-depth understanding of how teachers feel that the Headway series has delivered the learning outcomes to support students to move to the next level of study.
* An impact study is research that investigates a particular change or outcome that a product or service has on the group of people it is intended to help or benefit.
Found to deliver the learning outcomes students need to move on to the next level of study.
- 91% of teachers who took part in this impact study trust that Headway delivers the learning outcomes that support the students to move to the next level of study.
- Teachers believe that the biggest influence on students' ability to progress is the way that Headway improves their ability in one or more of the four skills (Speaking, Listening, Reading, and Writing).
- 97% of teachers say they are satisfied or very satisfied with Headway.
- The top three reasons teachers choose Headway are:
- Its approach to grammar
- The range of components
- Reading texts are interesting for students
Download the summary report (PDF, 4MB)
Which lesson did Headway teachers feel helped their students the most?
Headway 4th edition
"The focus on formal and informal English and the inclusion of common modern expressions such as OMG has helped my students understand better the flow of these types of conversations." (Unit 1, Upper-Intermediate)
Headway 3rd edition
"It takes a global view of English by focusing on the auxiliary verbs which form the different tenses students should be familiar with, but which they may have difficulty using correctly." (Unit 1, Intermediate)
American Headway 2nd edition
"There is a lesson about Oprah Winfrey's life. The grammar to teach is the simple past and my students really connected the use and importance of this tense with the grammar taught in previous classes." (Unit 7, Level 1)
American Headway 2nd edition
"I like working with Unit 7 of American Headway Level 2, because of the choice of characters and pictures provided. They engage the learners because usually they like the celebrities and their lives, not to mention that it is very illustrative in contrasting present perfect versus simple present." (Unit 7, Level 2)
The Headway impact study was conducted in February 2018. 170 teachers from 28 countries took part.
Headway 5th edition retains the course’s trusted methodology but has been updated with new texts, captivating topics, and easy-to-use digital resources.