Oxford English for Careers: Commerce 1 Student's Book A course for pre-work students who are studying for a career in commerce.
Commerce 1 teaches pre-work students to communicate in English, within the context of a career in commerce.
- ISBN: 978-0-19-456975-0
- Pages: 136
- Binding: Paperback
- Dimensions: 276x208 mm
Commerce is ideal for pre-work students, studying at pre-intermediate to intermediate levels, who will need to use English in work situations.
Commerce develops the vocabulary, language, and skills that students need to communicate effectively in both formal and informal scenarios in the workplace. These include taking part in meetings, giving presentations, and socializing with colleagues.
- Authentic and up-to date information in every course, written and checked by industry insiders
- Clear and straightforward structure, with each unit containing a menu of learning outcomes, and an end-of-unit checklist with 'Can do' tick boxes
- Teaches English in context, so students practise the language and skills they need for the job in real work situations
- Real-world profiles from genuine professionals in the 'It's my job' section offer authentic and engaging insights into the industry
- Extra facts, figures, quotations, and specialist terminology included in the top margin of unit pages
- Additional activities and tests in the Teacher's Resource Book make the course suitable for mixed-ability classes
- The Teacher's Resource Book provides specialist background to the industry for every unit, as well as industry tips to support non-expert teachers
- Project work in the Student's Book, additional activities on the Student's Site, and a Key words list of essential vocabulary at the end of every unit provide extra opportunities for revision
Commerce 1 is suitable for those who are studying for a career in commerce. It prepares students for a range of business situations, develops communication skills, and provides background to key business concepts.
'It's my job' sections offer students an insight into the lives of real people who work in commerce. The profiles are based on authentic interviews and sources, and teach students about the various skills required for different business environments.
The '9 to 5' section presents and practises functional and situational language in simple business contexts. The 'Business Know-How' section uses engaging activities to develop key interpersonal skills for business, such as teamwork, self-motivation, leadership, and organisation.
Listening, reading, speaking, and writing activities throughout the course give realistic and communicative practice of the language skills needed in commerce. Students then develop these skills through project work, which encourages them to take an active role in the learning process.
1 The business environment
Getting on in business, researching a well-known company.
2 The company
How to manage your time, researching a company's structure
Travelling tips, researching an airline
How to concentrate, researching sports sponsorship
Find your own USPs, researching Ebay
6 Cultural awareness
How to make a good impression, researching advice on how to behave in a particular country
7 Trade fairs
Attending a careers fair, researching an entrepreneur
Improve your creativity, creating an advert promoting careers in sport
9 Fashion and style
How to dress for the international business world, presenting your company
Staying up to date, email tips
11 Job satisfaction
Researching good employers, talking about working conditions
12 Market research
Be a good listener, interviews in the street
13 Bright ideas
Become more inventive
14 Dealing with people
Dealing with your anger, do an online test about Emotional Intelligence
15 Getting a job
Key interview questions, finding a suitable job online
Register to enjoy 1000's of activities and ideas. Choose by age group, book title, topic or arena of study.
- Careers start here
- Technology for Engineering & Applied Sciences – Special Edition
- Commerce 1
- Commerce 2
- Engineering 1
Practise your English with the Oxford English For Careers series online.