A course for pre-work students who are studying for a career in engineering.
Peter Astley & Lewis Lansford
A course that provides the language, skills, and practice to help pre-work students in their career in the engineering industry.
Engineering is ideal for pre-work students, studying at pre-intermediate to upper-intermediate level, who will need English to communicate effectively in the Engineering industry.
Engineering develops the vocabulary, language, and skills that students need for use in a range of different types of engineering, including Mechanical, Electronic, Electrical, Design, Civil & Structural, Aerospace, and Materials, with a special focus on number work throughout.
- Student’s Book
- Teacher’s Resource Book
- Class Audio CD
- Authentic and up-to date information in every unit, written and checked by engineering industry insiders
- Topic-based syllabus, covering a range of types of engineering, including mechanical, electronic, and aerospace
- Teaches English in context, so students practise the language and skills they need for the job in real work situations
- Real-world profiles from genuine professionals in the 'It's my job' section offer authentic and engaging insights into the engineering industry
- Extra facts, figures, quotations, and specialist terminology included in the top margin of unit pages
- The Teacher's Resource Book provides specialist background to the industry for every unit, as well as industry tips to support non-expert teachers
Engineering provides students with authentic articles and exercises that teach language in context, and are relevant to the workplace. The up-to-date technical content is supported by a Physics Bank, grammar reference, and extensive glossary, which supplies a wealth of industry-specific vocabulary. The ‘It’s my job’ section in each unit adds a real-life dimension, and covers a variety of jobs and specialisms within the engineering industry.
In addition, the Number Talk section of the course places special emphasis on using numbers in an engineering context.
The course supports teachers in the vocational teaching situation, providing them with specialist background information for the industry.
Engineering 1Unit 1 Engineering
Unit 2 Design and modelling
Unit 3 Measurement
Unit 4 Strength and stiffness
Unit 5 Movement
Unit 6 Electricity
Unit 7 Electronics
Unit 8 Computing and logic
Unit 9 Materials
Unit 10 Air and water
Unit 11 Heat
Unit 12 Light and sound
Unit 13 Manufacturing
Unit 14 Codes and standards
Unit 15 Helping to save the planet
For Engineering (3)
|978-0-19-457948-3||Oxford English for Careers: Engineering 1 Teacher's Resource Book|
|978-0-19-457956-8||Oxford English for Careers: Engineering 1 Class Audio CD|
|978-0-19-457949-0||Oxford English for Careers: Engineering 1 Student's Book|