Oxford Wordpower Dictionary English-English-Turkish A new semi-bilingual dictionary designed for Turkish-speaking learners of English
Mixed media format
With English definitions and Turkish translations, the Oxford Wordpower Dictionary English-English-Turkish gives intermediate Turkish-speaking learners of English all the words they need, together with plentiful guidance on how to build their vocabulary.
- ISBN: 978-0-19-432340-6
The Oxford Wordpower Dictionary English-English-Turkish builds vocabulary and helps students pronounce and use words correctly.
Words are explained clearly, in English, with examples of how they are used. Each meaning of every word is translated into Turkish.
Students can look up words on the CD-ROM in either English or Turkish, hear spoken pronunciation of all the headwords and some examples, extend their vocabulary with exercises and games, take two free online practice tests on www.oxfordenglishtesting.com, explore the information in a dictionary entry with iGuide (an interactive tutorial), look up words online or in Word documents using the Genie, and learn more from the Extras.
- 35,000 words and phrases from British and American English, and 52,000 translations
- Oxford 3000 keyword entries show students the most important words to know in English
- Over 37,000 examples show how words are used, and words that are used together
- Pronunciation, with American variants
- More than 5,500 usage notes on grammar, culture, and difficult or confusing words and phrases
- Extras are study pages which include Expressions using Numbers, Geographical Names, an irregular verbs table, and Some Common Mistakes to Avoid
- Students can search the CD-ROM in English or Turkish
- The CD-ROM includes the full text of the dictionary, pronunciation of all the English headwords, hundreds of illustrations, exercises, games, Extras, the Genie instant look-up facility, a link to two free online practice tests (Cambridge English: Preliminary and First) at www.oxfordenglishtesting.com, a Topic Dictionary to view words in topic sets, and iGuide, an interactive tutorial to help students explore the information in a dictionary entry
At intermediate level, students want to build their vocabulary. The Oxford Wordpower Dictionary English-English-Turkish not only gives them the words but also the tools to succeed.
The Oxford Wordpower Dictionary English-English-Turkish has easy-to-understand explanations in English with Turkish equivalents for all headwords, expressions, and difficult parts of examples.
The Oxford Wordpower Dictionary English-English-Turkish combines all the advantages of a monolingual dictionary with those of a bilingual dictionary.
It identifies the 3,000 most important words to know in English (the Oxford 3000). Each Oxford 3000 word has a keyword entry, which often includes additional information (synonyms, opposites) to help students learn related words. These words are used as the defining vocabulary for the 35,000 words, phrases and meanings in the dictionary, so explanations are easy to understand.
The Oxford Wordpower Dictionary English-English-Turkish also provides students with abundant help in how to use words correctly, and to sound more natural. Over 37,000 corpus-based examples show how words are used, and words that are used together. More than 5,500 usage notes provide information to help students avoid errors. The Extras include help with pronunciation, geographical names, expressions using numbers and an irregular verbs table.
Students can search the CD-ROM in English or Turkish. They can search the complete A-Z dictionary, as well as hundreds of illustrations, either by word or by topic. The Topic Dictionary allows them to view words in 69 topic sets, such as computing and the environment.
They can hear headwords pronounced in British or American English and can record their own voice to practise pronunciation.
The pop-up Genie enables students to look up any words they don't know when using the Internet or reading Word documents; and to hear them pronounced.
Extras, exercises and language games help consolidate new vocabulary, and a link on the CD-ROM gives students access to two free online practice tests (Cambridge English: Preliminary and First) at www.oxfordenglishtesting.com
Also on the CD-ROM is the iGuide, an interactive tutorial to help students explore the information in a dictionary entry.
About Oxford 3000These words are the most important because they occur frequently in the language, are widely used (in science, arts, spoken English, etc.), or because there are no alternative words to express the same meaning (for example, vegetable, aunt).
With the Oxford Wordpower Dictionary English-English-Turkish CD-ROM students can:
- Search the complete Oxford Wordpower Dictionary English-English-Turkish
- Look up words in either English or Turkish
- Click on any English word in an entry to look up its meaning
- Hear the pronunciation of all headwords and some examples in British and American English
- Record their own voice to practise pronunciation
- Use the Topic Dictionary to view words in 69 topic sets, such as computing and the environment
- Search hundreds of illustrations in the Picture Dictionary
- Explore dictionary entries with the iGuide, an interactive tutorial
- Prepare for exams using the vocabulary-building and exam practice exercises, and consolidate new vocabulary using the language games
- Take two free online practice tests (Cambridge English: Preliminary and First) on www.oxfordenglishtesting.com
- Look up words they don't know and hear them pronounced when using the Internet or reading Word documents with the pop-up Genie
- Learn more from the wide range of material in the 33 sections of Extras, including help with modal verbs, punctuation, collocations, phrasal verbs, common mistakes, American English, and help with topics such as writing letters and emails, text messaging, and phoning
System requirementsWindows 98/ME/2000/XP, 300 MHz processor, 128 Mb RAM, 8Mb graphics memory.
You can arrange a network licence by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.