Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary The world's best-selling advanced-level dictionary for learners of English
Eighth Edition Joanna Turnbull
The world's best-selling advanced learner's dictionary, now with Oxford iWriter to help students plan, write and review their written work.
- Level: Upper-Intermediate to Advanced (B2-C2)
The Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, or OALD, is recommended by teachers and students because it defines words in language students understand, gives useful example sentences, and includes the help learners need to expand their vocabulary to 7500+ words.
It has sold over 35 million copies worldwide and is the world's best-selling advanced learner's dictionary.
The new 8th edition with Oxford iWriter, an interactive tutor to improve writing skills, offers 8 new reasons to choose OALD.
- Paperback with CD-ROM
- Hardback with CD-ROM
- International Student's Edition
- Oxford iWriter on CD-ROM, an interactive tutor to help students plan, write, and review their written work.
- Interactive whiteboard-friendly CD-ROM now with Topic Vocabulary Banks, integrated thesaurus and photocopiable resources.
- 32-page Oxford Writing Tutor.
- 1,000 new words and meanings.
- 64-page Visual Vocabulary Builder.
- Oxford 3000™plus - the most important words to know in English and the most important meanings of those words.
- Topic Collocation notes and synonym information.
- Academic Word List words marked.
Our research for the 8th edition revealed that students find writing in English difficult, and that for many teachers it is the most difficult skill to teach. We developed the new Oxford iWriter and Oxford Writing Tutor to help students and teachers with this most challenging of language skills. The Oxford Writing Tutor is a 32-page section in the print dictionary. The Oxford iWriter is an interactive tutor on the CD-ROM that is only available with the print dictionary.
Both tools guide students through the stages of planning, writing and reviewing a range of different written tasks. Both provide models for each task type, showing the structure, notes and sample content. There's advice on choosing the right language, how to use language in order to sound more formal, more objective, or to avoid repetition.
Language changes all the time - OALD 8th edition explains the meaning of words that have recently come into the language such as citizen journalism, staycation, social bookmarking, stack it, X factor. The 1,000 new words and meanings keep you and your students up to date with the language we now use to talk about technology, lifestyle, slang, and the economy.
Our research showed that students find an illustration is the quickest way to understand a difficult word - even at advanced level. The 64-page Visual Vocabulary Builder with new colour photos and illustrations covers new topics students want to talk about and need for exams. In addition to illustrating topic words, each page includes useful language and collocations to develop students' language skills.
How can advanced levels students achieve the 7500+ word vocabulary language experts recommend? The Oxford 3000™ keywords, together with the new Topic Collocation boxes, the Academic Word List, and the synonym information gives students exactly the right tools to develop the vocabulary that is most relevant to their needs:
Oxford 3000™ becomes Oxford 3000™plus for the 8th edition. Oxford 3000™ is the list of the most important words to know in English. Oxford 3000™plus shows the most important meanings of those words. Each Oxford 3000™ word has a special keyword entry, which often includes additional information on synonyms, collocations, etc to extend vocabulary.
It's not enough to know the right vocabulary - students also have to know which words go together if they want to sound natural. The new Topic Collocation boxes focus on exam-type topics such as education, emailing, politics, etc and show students the words which typically collocate for these topics.
And lastly, a few facts and figures about the 8th edition's coverage of vocabulary. It has...
184,500 words, phrases, and meanings
5,000 study words from business, sciences, computing, etc
2,000 culture words (Wall Mart, Forth Bridge)
700 World English words (vuvuzela, stickybeak, godown, indaba)
OALD 8th edition is based on the world-famous Oxford English Corpus, our 2-billion word database that shows us how language is really used.
CD-ROMThe new 8th edition CD-ROM includes:
- The complete OALD with integrated thesaurus
- 184,500 words, phrases and meanings, including 1,000 new words and meanings
- Headwords pronounced in British or North American English
- Integrated thesaurus, extra example sentences, and information on collocations and word origins
- Language exercises to practise topic vocabulary and the Academic Word List
- The Oxford iWriter (an interactive tutor to help students plan, write, and review their written work)
- Topic Vocabulary banks (with the option to create personal My Topics lists)
- Photocopiable worksheets and reference material
The Oxford iWriter guides students through the stages of planning, writing and reviewing a range of different written tasks. Task types include essays, presentations, reports, letters, reviews, CVs and more.
There are models for each task type, showing structure, notes and sample content. There's advice on choosing the right language, how to use language in order to sound more formal, more objective, or to avoid repetition.
You can watch a demonstration of the OALD CD-ROM, including Oxford iWriter.
You can arrange a network licence by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Windows XP® (350MHz, 256 MB RAM), Windows Vista® (350 MHz, 256 MB RAM), Macintosh OS X 10.4, 256 MB RAM, UBUNTU/Debian Linux, 350 MHz, 256 MB RAM.
Look up words online from the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary. The site gives you free access to the 183,500 entries from the OALD 8th edition, and allows you to hear words pronounced in either British or American English.You can also:
- View the Oxford 3000™ wordlist (the most important words to know in English)
- See the Academic Word List (the words you need to study in English)
- Browse illustrations for over 800 words using the Picture Wordlist
- Access Usage Notes with information to help learners use words correctly, covering synonyms, collocations, confusable words, British/American usage, grammar points, and help with vocabulary building.
Sign up to receive the Word of the Day from OALD 8th edition.
You can download the OALD search box your own website free of charge, giving you quick and easy access to the OALD 8th edition.
Instant access to the A-Z dictionary using your mobile device (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, Android™, and Windows® Phone), and also for Mac OS.
- Access the A-Z dictionary
- Listen to real British and American voices pronounce 58,000 example sentences – access high quality audio online, or download to listen offline
- Use My View to choose what to look at - hide IPA, example sentences, pictures and synonyms to make entries shorter – tap to show the full entry again
- Hear all the headwords spoken in British and American accents
- Consult the integrated Thesaurus
- Study usage notes, extra example sentences, verb forms, and word origins
- Use Full Dictionary Search to find your word in any phrase or example sentence in the dictionary
- Create lists of favourite words
As viewed on iPhone®
and iPod Touch®
As viewed on Android™
As viewed on Windows® Phone
NEW Code versions
Educational institutions can now purchase the OALD app for iPhone®, iPod touch®, iPad®, or for tablets/smartphones using Android™, and Windows® Phone, for students to download and use.
You will need to purchase access codes for students to use the app. Find out more.