Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
The world's best-selling advanced-level dictionary for learners of English
Margaret Deuter, Jennifer Bradbery, Joanna Turnbull
The world's best-selling advanced learner's dictionary, now with Oxford iSpeaker to develop the skills students need for passing exams and communicating in English.
The Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, or OALD, is recommended by teachers and students because it defines words in language students understand, gives useful example sentences, and includes the tools learners need to succeed in English.
It has over 100 million users worldwide and is the world's best-selling advanced learner's dictionary.
The new 9th edition with Oxford iSpeaker and Oxford iWriter make OALD the ultimate speaking and writing tool.
- Print book (Hardback and Paperback)
- Online Access to Premium Website
- Speaking and writing tools:
- NEW Oxford iSpeaker
- NEW Oxford Speaking Tutor
- Oxford iWriter
- Oxford Writing Tutor
- Vocabulary-building tools:
- more than 185,000 words, phrases and meanings
- 700+ NEW words and meanings
- NEW Express yourself notes
- NEW Wordfinder notes
- NEW My Wordlists (online only)
- Oxford 3000 keywords
- Visual Vocabulary Builder
- Teaching tools:
- Videos and activity worksheets to show students how to get the most from their dictionary
- Lesson plans
- More Like This worksheets to help students learn similar types of words (e.g. uncountable nouns, onomatopoeic words, idioms with rhyming pairs such as thrills and spills, fair and square)
This edition includes:
NEW Oxford Speaking Tutor a new 10-page section.
NEW Oxford iSpeaker on DVD-ROM and online.
Enables students to:
- Prepare for speaking exams and oral presentations.
- Develop strategies for holding a conversation in English.
- Watch videos of British and American English sounds, conversations and exam-style tasks.
- Take part in dialogues.
- Record and listen to their voice and assess their own speaking skills.
Oxford iWriter on DVD-ROM and online
Shows students how to plan, write and review their own writing tasks.
- NEW Express Yourself notes help students find the right thing to say in everyday situations.
- NEW Wordfinder notes show related words - look up meeting and find agenda, convene, chair.
- The Oxford 3000™ – the most important words to know in English, are clearly shown with a key.
- Visual Vocabulary Builder expands topic vocabulary.
With it you can…
- Search the A-Z and Topic dictionaries
- Hear real-voice British and American English audio
- View pictures, word origins, usage notes
- Access the Oxford 3000 and Academic Word lists
- Check texts with Oxford Text Checker
- iSpeaker - helps you to develop your pronunciation and speaking skills.
- iWriter - shows you how to plan, write and review your written work.
- My Wordlists – create lists of the words you want to learn.
- Teacher resources – downloadable videos, lesson plans and activities for use in class.
The code included in the print book provides five years’ access.
The code purchased online provides one year’s access.
The NEW Oxford iSpeaker gives students the help they need to pass exams and communicate in English.
With Oxford iSpeaker, you can:
- hear individual sounds pronounced in British and American English
- record yourself
- listen and compare your pronunciation with the model
- watch conversations that happen in everyday situations (making recommendations, asking for help, etc.)
- study the language used in the conversation
- take one of the parts in the conversation to practise using the language
- record yourself and assess your speaking skills
- watch videos of exam-style tasks
- record yourself practising for speaking exams
The Oxford iWriter guides students through the stages of planning, writing and reviewing a range of different written tasks. Task types include essays, presentations, reports, letters, reviews, CVs and more.
There are models for each task type, showing structure, notes and sample content. There's advice on choosing the right language, how to use language in order to sound more formal, more objective, or to avoid repetition.
- Full A-Z dictionary
- British and American English audio
- Topic wordlists
- Teacher resources - downloadable videos, lesson plans and activities for use in class
For Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary (1)
The ultimate speaking and writing tool.
|978-0-19-479878-5||Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary Hardback + DVD + Premium Online Access Code|