Oxford Advanced American Dictionary for learners of English
Price: $ 24.69
Oxford Advanced American Dictionary for learners of English
A dictionary for English language learners (ELLs) with CD-ROM that develops vocabulary and writing skills
The dictionary experts at Oxford present a new range of American learners dictionaries specifically designed for English language learners.
- Part of: Oxford American English Dictionaries for learners of English
- ISBN: 978-0-19-439966-1
- Price: $ 24.69
- Pages: 0
- Binding: Paperback
The Oxford Advanced American Dictionary for learners of English features:
145,000 words, phrases, & meanings
3,000 core word vocabulary (Oxford 3000)
1,000+ color illustrations
38 reference pages
Academic Word List labeled
26-page Writing Tutor in book, Oxford iWriter on CD-ROM
- CD-ROM (only available with the Oxford Advanced American Dictionary)
- 145,000 words, phrases, and meanings with 85,500 examples showing how words are used
- 3,000 keyword entries marked, showing the Oxford 3000 - the most important words to know in English
- All words on the Academic Word List marked
- 64 Reference pages including a 26-page Oxford WritingTutor, information on punctuation, irregular verbs, geographical names, and more.
- 1,000+ colour illustrations make it easy to understand more difficult words.
- Note boxes with extra help throughout the dictionary - thesaurus, topic collocations, Academic Word List collocations, word families
- The Oxford iWriter on the CD-ROM shows students how to plan, write and check their written work, and also includes the full A-Z dictionary, spoken words, 'record your own voice' facility, Topic Dictionary and searchable Picture Dictionary, plus a pop-up Genie that looks up words when you are working in Word, in e-mails or on the Internet.
Transition from picture dictionaries more easily by using words they can understand for definitions and using illustrations for more difficult words.
Learn content area words from math, chemistry, biology, geography, etc.
Focus on the Academic Word List and the Oxford 3000TM(the most important words to learn in English).
Extend their vocabulary with extra help note boxes throughout the dictionary- help with related vocabulary synonyms, topic collocations, Academic Word List collocations, and word families, affixes, and more.
Write different types of texts in English, from resumes to e-mails to essays, with the Writing Tutor (Intermediate and Advanced levels only).
Included in each dictionary is a CD-ROM containing a separate Picture Dictionary and a Topic Dictionary, allowing students to search for words by content area or topic, and create their own topic dictionaries. The full A-Z dictionary is included with spoken headwords and a 'record your own voice' function for practicing pronunciation.
The Oxford Advanced American Dictionary CD-ROM with Oxford iWriter includes the full A-Z dictionary, spoken words, a searchable Picture Dictionary, a Topic Dictionary and the option to create personal word lists. A pop-up Genie gives the meaning of words students find when working in Word, in e-mails, or on the Internet.
- Search the complete A-Z dictionary, hear the headwords pronounced, then use 'record and listen' to practise pronunciation
- Learn vocabulary in lexical sets using the Topic Dictionary and create personal word lists to build vocabulary faster
- Learn the Oxford 3000 keywords (the most important words to know in English), marked with a key symbol, and Academic Word List words, marked with an AWL symbol
- Develop writing skills with the Oxford iWriter, which shows students how to plan, write and review their written work
- Use the pop-up Genie to look up a word when working in Word, in e-mails, or on the Internet
The Oxford iWriter shows students how to plan, write and review different types of written work, from argument essays to presentations, résumés, and cover letters.
There are models for each task type, showing structure, notes and sample content. There's advice on choosing the right language, how to use language in order to sound more formal, more objective, or to avoid repetition.
The Oxford iWriter shows the structure for the task type, and provides checklists to guide students through the planning, writing and checking stages. When they finish writing, they save and export their work as a .txt file. Oxford iWriter's structure disappears, and only the student's work remains. They can open the exported file in an application such as Word to run a spell check and check formatting before printing or emailing their work to their teacher.
Watch a presentation of the Oxford American Dictionaries, the CD-ROM and Oxford iWriter.
Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 (350MHz, 256 MB RAM); Macintosh OS X 10.4, 59MHz, 256 MB RAM.
You can also access the Oxford Advanced American Dictionary online or on your mobile device.
The Oxford Advanced American Dictionary app provides instant access to the A-Z dictionary using your iPhone®, iPod touch®, or iPad®
- Access the complete A-Z dictionary
- Hear real American voices pronounce 50,800 words
- High quality audio, with no Internet connection required
- Use My View to choose how much information appears on your screen, for example hide IPA, example sentences, pictures and cross references to make entries shorter. Tap to show the full entry again
- Expand and explore pictures to learn related vocabulary
- Find your word in any phrase or example sentence in the dictionary
- Tap any word in a definition or example to look it up
- Study usage notes and verb forms
- Bookmark entries to easily find them again
The Oxford Advanced American Dictionary website gives you free access to 145,000 words, phrases and meanings and allows you to hear words pronounced in American English.
You can also:
- View the Oxford 3000 wordlist (the most important words to know in English)
- View the Academic Word List (the words you need to study in English)
- Browse illustrations for over 1,000 words using the Picture Wordlist
- Access Usage Notes with information to help learners use words correctly, covering Academic Word List collocations, topic collocations, synonyms, confusable words, grammar points, and help with vocabulary building.
- Check the vocabulary in your own texts against the Academic Word list, Oxford 2000 and Oxford 3000 using the Oxford Text Checker.
Sign up to receive the Word of the Day from the Oxford Advanced American Dictionary.
You can download the dictionary search box to your own website free of charge, giving you quick and easy access to the Oxford Advanced American English dictionary.
Build vocabulary and achieve academic success.