Oxford American Dictionary for learners of English
Oxford American Dictionary for learners of English
A dictionary for English language learners (ELLs) with CD-ROM that builds content-area and academic vocabulary
|Format:||Mixed media format|
A learner's dictionary with the Oxford iWriter on CD-ROM that builds vocabulary and develops writing skills. The Oxford American Dictionary Vocabulary Builder provides additional vocabulary skills training.
- УМК: Oxford American English Dictionaries for learners of English
- Уровень: Intermediate to Upper-Intermediate (B1-B2)
- ISBN: 978-0-19-439972-2
The Oxford American Dictionary for learners of English helps students understand the meanings of words and how to use them correctly. It includes 42,000 words, phrases and meanings and 35,000 examples to show how words are used.
It marks the Oxford 3000 words (the most important words to know in English), content area vocabulary (math, social studies, science, etc), and Academic Word List words.
The Oxford Writing Tutor (included in the print dictionary) and the Oxford iWriter on the CD-ROM show students how to plan, write and review different types of writing.
The Oxford American Dictionary Vocabulary Builder, available separately, provides 50 lessons with 130 activities to consolidate and extend vocabulary.
Этот набор включает
- CD-ROM (only available with Oxford American Dictionary for learners of English)
- 42,000 words, phrases, and meanings with Academic Word List words and content area vocabulary in math, science, social studies marked
- 3,000 keyword entries marked, showing the most important words to know in English (the Oxford 3000)
- 45 Reference pages including a 16-page Oxford Writing Tutor, information on punctuation, irregular verbs, geographical names, and more
- 650 colour illustrations make it easy to learn related vocabulary
- Note boxes with extra help throughout the dictionary - thesaurus, topic collocations, Academic Word List collocations, word-building
- The Oxford iWriter on the CD-ROM shows students how to plan, write and check their written work. The CD-ROM also includes the full A-Z dictionary, spoken words, 'record your own voice' facility, Topic Dictionary and searchable picture dictionary, plus a pop-up Genie that looks up words when you are working in Word, in e-mails, and on the Internet.
The content is based on research with teachers in the USA, and is informed by an Advisory Board of language experts comprising Jayme Adelson-Goldstein, Cheryl Boyd Zimmerman, Keith Folse, and Alison Rice.
The dictionary identifies the Oxford 3000 keywords, the most important words to know in English. These 3,000 words are used as the defining vocabulary so explanations are easy to understand. The full Oxford 3000 list can be viewed and downloaded from the dictionary CD-ROM to use as a revision checklist or as a basis for a vocabulary syllabus.
The Oxford American Dictionary CD-ROM includes the full A-Z dictionary, spoken words, a searchable Picture Dictionary, a Topic Dictionary and the option to create personal word lists. A pop-up Genie gives the meaning of words students find when they are working in Word, in e-mails, and on the Internet.
An A-Z dictionary with spoken headwords, Topic Dictionary, Picture Dictionary, and Oxford iWriter to develop writing skills.
Only available with Oxford American Dictionary for learners of English.
The Oxford American Dictionary CD-ROM with Oxford iWriter includes the full A-Z dictionary, spoken words, a searchable Picture Dictionary, a Topic Dictionary and the option to create personal word lists. A pop-up Genie gives the meaning of words when you are working in Word, in e-mails, and on the Internet.
The Oxford iWriter shows students how to plan, write and review different types of written work, from argument essays to presentations, r?sum?s, and cover letters.
· Search the complete A-Z dictionary, hear the headwords pronounced, then use 'record and listen' to practise pronunciation
· Learn more related vocabulary using the searchable Picture Dictionary
· Learn the 3,000 keywords (the most important words to know in English), marked with a key symbol, and Academic Word List words, marked with an AWL symbol
· Search words by topic, and create personal word lists to build vocabulary faster
· Develop writing skills with the Oxford iWriter, which shows students how to plan, write and review their written work
· Use the pop-up Genie when working in Word, in e-mails, or on the Internet to check the meaning of words and to hear them pronounced.
Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 (350MHz, 256 MB RAM); Macintosh OS X 10.4, 59MHz, 256 MB RAM.
A learner's dictionary with Oxford iWriter on CD-ROM that builds vocabulary and develops writing skills. The Oxford American Dictionary Vocabulary Builder provides additional vocabulary skills training.
The Oxford iWriter (available only on the Oxford American Dictionary CD-ROM) guides students through the stages of planning, writing and reviewing a range of different written tasks. There are models for each task type, showing structure, notes and sample content. There's advice on choosing the right language, how to use language in order to sound more formal, more objective, or to avoid repetition.
When students start their own writing, they choose their task type from the list of options. These include:
Writing a comparison essay
Writing an argument essay
Writing a report
Writing a book or movie review
Writing a formal letter
Writing a résumé and cover letter
The Oxford iWriter shows the structure for the task type, and provides checklists to guide students through the planning, writing and checking stages. When they finish writing, they save and export their work as a .txt file. Oxford iWriter's structure disappears, and only the student's work remains. They can open the exported file in an application such as Word to run a spell check and check formatting before printing or emailing their work to their teacher.
Watch a presentation of the Oxford American Dictionary and CD-ROM with Oxford iWriter.
Open the door to academic success with the new Oxford American English Dictionaries