Oxford Picture Dictionary English-Urdu Bilingual Dictionary for Urdu speaking teenage and adult students of English
Second Edition Jayme Adelson-Goldstein and Norma Shapiro
American Inhouse Design Award 2008
4,000 words and phrases are organized thematically within 163 topics. Includes English to Urdu translations of vocabulary throughout and an extensive index in Urdu at the back of the book.
- ISBN: 978-0-19-474021-0
- Price: $ 26.19
- Pages: 0
- Binding: Paperback
- Dimensions: 11" x 8.5" inches
A fully integrated vocabulary development program in American English, progressing from essential words to the more complex, delivered in short thematic units. Realistic scenarios and modern artwork are easy to relate to and these, together with story pages and practice exercises, have been applauded for their success in promoting critical thinking skills. Content is fully supported by a range of components (in English only) - including Workbooks, Classroom Activities, Audio and website.
- 4,000 words and phrases, in English and Urdu, illustrated with crystal-clear and vibrant illustrations meet the needs of today's language learners.
- Practice activities at the bottom of almost every page enable students immediately use the target vocabulary.
- New! Intro pages at the beginning of every unit present key vocabulary for learners at all levels.
- New! Story pages at the end of each unit promote reading development and critical thinking skills.
Content is organized within 12 thematic units, including Everyday Language, People, Housing, Food and Recreation.
Each unit starts with an Intro page (new to this edition) and ends with a story page, with single or double-page sub-topics introducing new words in a realistic visual context and easy-to-learn "chunks."
The target new vocabulary is listed and simple practice activities help students put their new words into practice.
Story pages include pre-reading questions to build previewing and predicting skills and post-reading questions and role-play activities to support critical thinking and to encourage students to use the new language they have learned.
Rich visual contexts recycle words from the unit. This structure is designed to address the needs of multilevel classrooms.
Supporting components include more guidance on this topic as well as assessing needs and lesson planning. (available in English only).