Language Learner Strategies
Language Learner Strategies
30 years of Research and Practice
Shortlisted for the 2008 BAAL Book Prize
This book explores the notion that the reason some learners of second languages excel and others struggle lies in what the learners themselves do-the strategies they bring to language learning and to language use.
- Part of: Oxford Applied Linguistics
- ISBN: 978-0-19-442254-3
- Price: $ 54.00
- Pages: 420
- Binding: Paperback
- Dimensions: 234x156 mm
- Provides a unique and timely re-examination of key issues such as strategies in context, strategy instruction, and strategy research methods by numerous experts in the field.
- Offers an invaluable overview of what is known from empirical research about listening, reading, speaking, writing, vocabulary, and grammar strategies.
- Proposes a clear and focused research agenda for the next decades.
Part 1: Issues, Theories and FrameworksCh. 1 - Mike Grenfell and Ernesto Macaro
Claims and Critiques
Ch. 2 - Andrew D. Cohen
Coming to Terms with Language Learner Strategies: Surveying the Experts
Ch. 3 - Rebecca L. Oxford and Karen Schramm
Bridging the Gap between Psychological and Sociocultural Perspectives on L2 Learner Strategies
Ch. 4 - Osamu Takeuchi, Carol Griffiths, and Do Coyle
Applying Strategies to Contexts: The Role of Individual and Group Differences in Strategy Research
Ch. 5 - Cynthia White, Karen Schramm, and Anna Uhl Chamot
Research Methods in Language Learner Strategies: Re-examining the tool box
Ch. 6 - Rebecca L. Oxford and Kyoung Rang Lee with Gloria Park
L2 Grammar Strategies: The Second Cinderella and Beyond
Ch. 7 - Joan Rubin, Anna Uhl Chamot, Vee Harris, & Neil J. Anderson
Intervening in the Use of Strategies
Part 2: Reviewing 30 Years of Empirical LLS ResearchCh. 8 - Ernesto Macaro, Suzanne Graham, & Robert Vanderplank
A Review of Listening Strategies: Focus on sources of knowledge and on success
Ch. 9 - Lynn Erler & Claudia Finkbeiner
A Review of Reading Strategies: Focus on the impact of first language
Ch. 10 - Yasuo Nakatani & Christine Goh
A Review of Oral Communication Strategies: Focus on interactionist and psycholinguistic perspectives
Ch. 11 - Rosa M. Manchón, Julio Roca de Larios, & Liz Murphy
Second and Foreign Language Writing Strategies: Focus on conceptualizations and impact of first language
Ch. 12 - Martha Nyikos & May Fan
A Review of Vocabulary Acquisition Strategies: Focus on language proficiency and learner's voice
Concluding chapter - Cohen & Macaro
LLS and the Future: Resolving the issues
- '...practitioners, researchers, and advanced students of second language acquisition and applied linguistics will find this book a valuable addition to their bookshelves if they want to better understand the history, application, shortcomings, and benefits of language learner strategy.'
- The Modern Language Journal
- '...a very interesting read and one I expect I will refer to for quite some time to come.'
- Modern English Teacher, 2009
- 'a structured and
- TESL Electronic Journal, 13.2, Sept 2009
- '...offers its readers a monumental collection of work, with contributions by experts in the field who reflect on 30 years of LLS research and practice. It seeks to chart a clear direction not only for those of us in the field but also for those newcomers who, inspired by LLS research, aspire to innovate language teaching and to optimize student learning. I am ready to recommend this book to academics, researchers,
students who are interested in helping students to improve performance in second/foreign language learning.'
- Lawrence Jun Zhang, Applied Linguistics Journal
- 'Essential for anyone who wants to keep up-to-date with developments in this active field.'
- The Teacher Trainer Journal 23:1, 2009
- '...insightful reading, which even the sceptics will find of interest. It gives new meaning and direction to the field of language learner strategies.'
- Journal of the IATEFL SIG
- '...could be used as a model for researchers in any area wanting to review their field and offer a vision for the future.'
- English Teaching Professional