Inside Reading Second Edition
The inside track to academic achievement
Cheryl Boyd Zimmerman, Arline Burgmeier, Kent Richmond, Bruce Rubin, and Lawrence J. Zwier
Develop reading skills and acquire the Academic Word List.
Inside Reading Second Edition is a five-level academic reading series that develops students’ reading skills and teaches key academic vocabulary from the Academic Word List.
With a new Introductory level, Inside Reading Second Edition prepares students to understand academic texts, while acquiring key academic vocabulary from the Academic Word List.
Each unit in Inside Reading features two high-interest reading texts from an academic content area, reading skills relevant to the academic lesson, and targeted words from the Academic Word List.
- Student Book
- Explicit reading skills, such as inference, working with graphs and tables, annotating and highlighting, and recognizing context clues, provide the foundation for effective, critical reading.
- High-interest texts from academic content areas, such as psychology, engineering, the arts, technology, and business, motivate students.
- Systematic acquisition of the entire Academic Word List through targeted receptive and productive activities creates independent word learners.
- Examples from the Oxford English Corpus teach real-life English.
- NEW! Introductory level.
- NEW e-books with interactive features designed for language learning.
Each unit features two high interest readings. Topics include Sociology, Nutrition, Architecture, and Business, among many others. At the higher levels of Inside Reading, reading texts are adapted from authentic, well-known sources such as the Wall Street Journal, Popular Science, and The New York Times, and from acclaimed authors such as Malcolm Gladwell, James Surowiecki, and Jared Diamond. Authentic readings expose students to real-world, high interest content and authentic language.
Explicit reading skill instruction provides the foundation for effective critical reading. At all levels, Inside Reading covers reading skills that are vital to student success in the academic classroom, such as previewing and predicting, finding the main idea, scanning, and evaluating.
Inside Reading teaches systematic acquisition of the entire Academic Word List across the 5 levels: 570 words in total. Students first encounter the unit vocabulary words in a pre-unit self-assessment exercise, enabling them to check how familiar they are with the vocabulary they will encounter in the unit. These words are highlighted in the reading texts, meaning that students can learn them in context.
Example sentences from the Oxford English Corpus teach real-life English, based on authentic texts.
Features to look out for:
- Improve pronunciation: Repeat audio, record yourself, and compare to original.
- Improve listening: Slow down audio to hear each word clearly.
- Split screen video/activity. Video stays on screen while you move around pages. Easy to watch and work.
- Split screen reading: Reading text stays on screen while you move around pages. Read and answer questions at the same time.
- Automatically marked, interactive activities.
- Personalise your e-book: Save written or spoken notes anywhere on the page. Use the pen tool to draw and highlight.
- Easy to get around: Bookmarks, jump to page, thumbnail sorter.
Available for all levels.
For Inside Reading Second Edition (10)
|978-0-19-441646-7||Inside Reading 3 e-book|
|978-0-19-441644-3||Inside Reading Level 1 e-book|
|978-0-19-441647-4||Inside Reading 4 e-book|
|978-0-19-441645-0||Inside Reading 2 e-book|
|978-0-19-441643-6||Inside Reading Introductory e-book|
|978-0-19-441626-9||Inside Reading Introductory Student Book|
|978-0-19-441627-6||Inside Reading Level 1 Student Book|
|978-0-19-441629-0||Inside Reading Level 3 Student Book|
|978-0-19-441630-6||Inside Reading Level 4 Student Book|
|978-0-19-441628-3||Inside Reading Level 2 Student Book|