Inside Writing Level 4 iTools
Inside Writing Level 4 iTools
Develop writing skills and acquire the Academic Word List.
Inside Writing is a five-level academic writing course that develops students’ writing skills and teaches key academic vocabulary from the Academic Word List.
- ISBN: 978-0-19-460154-2
Inside Writing prepares students to produce a variety of academic texts, while focusing on key academic vocabulary from the Academic Word List.
Each unit of Inside Writing features examples of authentic academic text types, develops writing techniques such as analyzing audience and purpose, and teaches target vocabulary from the Academic Word List.
- Clear focus on writing structure guides the student step-by-step from word to sentence and paragraph level to produce independent, confident writers
- Writing models in different genres allow students to see how different multiple text types function
- Genre-based approach enables students to write for different audiences and purposes
- Systematic acquisition of the entire Academic Word List through targeted receptive and productive activities creates independent word learners
- Examples from the Oxford English Corpus teach real-life English
- Grammar for Editing activities help students learn how to revisit and improve their writing
- iTools Digital Resources for Teachers focus the class on key teaching points
- e-Books with interactive features designed for language learning create a modern and inspiring learning environment
Writing techniques, including analyzing audience, providing a hook, and using correct register, prepare students for academic writing. Writing models show examples of authentic academic text types and allow students to analyze what makes a text effective before creating their own. Grammar and vocabulary instruction ensures students are good writers on both sentence and essay level.
Inside Writing helps students to acquire vocabulary from the Academic Word List by systematically incorporating AWL vocabulary across all five levels. Students first encounter the unit vocabulary words in a pre-unit self-assessment exercise, enabling them to check how familiar they are with the vocabulary they will encounter in the unit. These words are highlighted throughout the unit, meaning that students can learn them in context. Based on a corpus of 3.4 million words, the Academic Word List (AWL) is the most principled and widely accepted list of academic words.
Example sentences from the Oxford English Corpus teach real-life English, based on authentic texts. The Oxford English Corpus is based on a collection of over 2 billion 21st Century English texts. The sentences taken from the corpus demonstrate the most frequent and salient use of a word, meaning that students learn to produce authentic English in use.
For the teacher, Inside Writing iTools displays the book-on-screen, with a range of tools to focus the class on key teaching points and facilitate classroom management. Writing worksheets provide additional practice with the genre and writing models. iTools also includes customizable Unit, Mid-term, and Final tests to evaluate students’ progress.