Q Skills for Success Level 3
Q Skills for Success encourages students to think critically and succeed academically.
Q’s question-centred approach provides a unique critical thinking framework for each unit. This develops key cognitive skills such as analyzing, synthesizing, and evaluating—as well as developing the language skills essential for academic success.
Learning outcomes are clearly stated at the start and end of the units, with competency self-evaluations and vocabulary check lists featuring the Academic Word List. This enables teachers to define learning outcomes effectively to accreditation bodies.
- Student Book with access card to online practice
- Teacher’s Book with Test Generator CD-ROM
- Class Audio CDs
- Learning outcomes are clearly stated at the start and end of the units
- Critical thinking unit approach encourages students to analyze, synthesize, apply knowledge, and develop an individual voice around a topic
- Thought-provoking unit questions provide a clear focus for the units
- Reading and listening texts explore a range of academic subjects from biology to finance
- Explicit learning skills sections help students develop important academic skills such as scanning a text, listening for gist, and using a dictionary
- Research-based vocabulary program focuses on words from the Academic Word List (AWL) and the Oxford 3000™
- Digital Workbook includes substantial homework practice, reference and tests, with simple LMS to help teachers assign and grade work
Using both strands, each level covers approximately 180 - 220 hours of class study (around 20 hours per week). Alternatively, institutions can use just one strand to cover around 100 hours of teaching.
Each unit of Q Skills for Success starts with a question such as How can we be better global citizens?; Is competition good for children?; and How does power affect our leaders?. Over the course of the unit, students continually return to this question:
Two texts approach the question from different angles, and students are encouraged to reflect on the texts in personalized “What do you think?” activities.
Throughout the unit, students practise the language points and learning strategies connected to the unit theme.
Then at the end of the unit, students are asked to synthesize what they have learnt in a final oral or written assignment, in which they are encouraged to develop their own argument to answer the unit question.
This unique unit format reflects a critical thinking approach to studying English, appropriate for students who are studying English in preparation for other academic subjects.
Q Skills for Success allows teachers to integrate learning outcomes as part of this critical thinking approach. At the start of the unit, clear signposts show students what skills they will be learning and what their core learning objective is for the unit.
At the end of the unit, students check their self-assessment log, circle the vocabulary they understand in a ‘Track Your Success’ section, check the academic skills they have learnt, and evaluate whether they have achieved their stated learning objective.
This approach not only leads to more definable learning outcomes; it also helps instructors treat students as autonomous learners, which can in turn lead to better results.
The course also features a strong research-based vocabulary strand, utilizing the Academic Word List and the Oxford 3000™, Oxford’s list of the most useful words. There is an emphasis on dictionary skills, using examples from the new Oxford American Dictionary series.
Q iTools is an interactive classroom presentation tool for use with an interactive whiteboard or computer with projector.
Each level of Q iTools features the Reading and Writing Student Book and the Listening and Speaking Student Book.
Video and audio are fully integrated. Video for every unit introduces the unit theme and activates prior knowledge. Each video is accompanied by one pre-viewing and one post-viewing activity. Video resources include teaching notes on how to use video in the English-language classroom and a video transcript for each unit (available in PDF and Word format) with unfamiliar words footnoted and defined.
As well as video, Q iTools features a bank of time-saving and useful resources. These include grammar worksheets (two per unit), a PowerPoint presentation for each unit, a Unit Test for each unit, and a Midterm Test and Final Test for each Student Book.
Test Preparation worksheets and answer keys for each unit help students to prepare for standardized tests.
Leveled unit assignments (one lower-level unit assignment and one higher-level unit assignment) for each unit allow teachers to assign one project task at different levels to suit the mixed ability classroom.
Finally, Q iTools also includes a list of suggested Oxford readers to promote extensive reading alongside Q.
Watch a walkthrough of Q iTools to find out more about how using iTools can benefit your class.
Q: Skills for Success is now available as an e-book, with interactive features designed specifically for language learners. Available for iPad and tablets for Android via the Oxford Learner’s Bookshelf app.
Institutions can buy access codes for their students. Find out more information.
Features to look out for:
- Improve pronunciation: Repeat audio, record yourself, and compare to original.
- Improve listening: Slow down audio to hear each word clearly. Read audio scripts and texts as you listen.
- Split screen video/activity. Video stays on screen while you move around pages. Easy to watch and work.
- Split screen reading: Reading text stays on screen while you move around pages. Read and answer questions at the same time.
- Access online practice: Links embedded on the page.
- Automatically marked, interactive activities.
- Additional resources: Interactive video worksheets.
- Personalise your e-book: Save written or spoken notes anywhere on the page. Use the pen tool to draw and highlight.
- Easy to get around: Bookmarks, jump to page, thumbnail sorter.
Available for all levels.
Внутри Q Skills for Success Level 3 (1)
|978-0-19-475624-2||Q Skills for Success Reading and Writing 3 Student Book with Online Practice|