Jaimie Scanlon, Margaret Brooks, Miles Craven, Kristin Sherman, Rob Freire, Tamara Jones, Susan Earle-Carlin, Sarah Lynn, Jenny Bixby, Joe McVeigh, Margot Gramer, Colin Ward, Debra Daise, Charl Norloff, Nigel Caplan, Scott Roy Douglas, Ann Snow, and Larry Zwier
Winner ComputED Gazette’s 2015 EDDIE Awards, category: Post-Secondary: ELL/ESL Website
Q: Skills for Success, Second Edition is a six-level paired skills series that helps students to think critically and succeed academically.
- Level: A1-C1
With new note-taking skills, an extended writing syllabus and authentic video in every unit, Q Second Edition equips students for academic success better than ever.
Q Second Edition helps students to measure their progress, with clearly stated unit objectives that motivate students to achieve their language learning goals.
And the online content, seamlessly integrated into the Student Book, allows teachers to truly implement blended learning into the classroom.
- Student Book with iQ Online
- Student e-book with iQ Online
- Split Student Book A with iQ Online
- Split Student Book B with iQ Online
- iTools Online
- iTools USB
- iQ Online student access card
- iQ Online teacher access card
- Question-centered approach encourages students to think critically
- Progress bar and clearly stated unit objectives motivate students to achieve their language learning goals
- Video in every unit provides an engaging springboard for students to think critically
- Note-taking skills and an extended writing syllabus develop essential skills for academic success
- Enhanced listening and reading comprehension activities provide greater scaffolding and help prepare students to use higher level study skills
- Research-based vocabulary program ensures that students learn the most relevant words for academic and professional life
- iQ Online is integrated with the Student Book content to extend learning in and out of the classroom
- Achievement badges keep students focused and motivated working online
- Auto-graded tests provide instant feedback and save teachers time
- iTools Online increases student engagement and reduces class prep time
- e-Book versions of the Student Book with interactive features designed for language learning
Q: Skills for Success Second Edition helps students to get ready for academic success. Enhanced skills support provides four extra pages of reading or listening comprehension in every unit, deepening students’ understanding of the unit topic and better preparing them for the unit assignment. A greater variety of activities encourages students to use critical thinking skills, such as making inferences or synthesizing information from different texts.
Video in every unit adds a new dimension to the course, and provides an additional springboard for students to think critically. The documentary-style videos use material from the BBC and CBS, providing authentic, high-interest input related to the unit topic.
In the Listening and Speaking strand, the new note-taking skills section provides focused practice on this essential skill in every unit. And the writing syllabus in Reading and Writing has been extended and improved to help students progress from writing coherent sentences to structuring a full essay. The new online Writing Tutor supports students to write independently.
Vocabulary from the Oxford 3000 and Academic Word List is highlighted to help students focus on the most relevant words they need to learn.
The Second Edition has an increased focus on measuring student progress. The new progress bar and clearly stated unit objectives motivate students to achieve their language learning goals. Students and teachers can also track their progress online, with new achievement badges that reward students as they complete the online activities.
Q: Skills for Success Second Edition is designed for blended learning. Online content on iQ Online is integrated with the Student Book, with clear signposting to guide students’ learning. The online content is easy to manage, simple to use, and has been researched, developed and tested to fit the needs of English language teachers and learners.
iQ Online features between 15-18 activities for every unit, including video, grammar and vocabulary games, and alternate unit assignments, as well as a range of tools to encourage student communication, including the online Discussion Board and email.
For the teacher iTools Online is an all-in-one classroom presentation tool that allows teachers to project pages from the Student Book, play video and audio, and interact with the page.
Language and skills practice
- 15-18 activities matched to the Student Book for every unit
- Activities include video, vocabulary, grammar and skills practice, grammar and vocabulary games, and alternate unit assignments
- Online Discussion Board provides a forum for students to discuss the unit question at the beginning of the unit, and then reflect on their learning at the end of the unit
- Email function allows easy communication between student and teacher
- Students can record themselves for the speaking assignments, submit their recording, and receive feedback online
The new online Writing Tutor helps to create autonomous learners, by providing writing models and structured step-by-step support for the unit assignment. Tools and resources for the student include:
- Peer Review worksheets
- Writing Outlines
- Writing Process worksheets
- Graphic organizers
Testing and assessment
- Auto-graded online tests for every unit instantly measure student progress and save time on grading
- Tests are automatically hidden from student view and the teacher chooses when to assign them, keeping them secure
- Scores are entered into the online gradebook, providing a quick and easy way to track class progress
- Printable and editable unit tests (A and B versions), placement, midterm and final tests are also available for every level - giving teachers the flexibility to assign tests in the way they like
Students can view their own reports for the activities and tests they complete, with a new achievements system that rewards students with badges as they progress through the online practice, motivating them to improve their scores. Teachers can track and monitor student progress too, at either an individual level, class level, or across multiple classes.
iQ Online includes access to the Q: Skills for Success Second Edition Teacher's Handbook, a single PDF per level which includes teaching notes on teaching critical thinking, note-taking, blended learning, using video in the classroom, vocabulary, and writing. For each unit:
- Multilevel teaching tips
- Expansion activities
- Background notes on the reading or listening texts plus the art in the unit openers
- Grammar and Vocabulary skill notes
- Unit Assignment grading rubrics
Other useful resources:
- Answer keys
- Audio scripts and video transcripts
- Communicative Grammar worksheets
- Discussion Board worksheets with teaching notes to help you make the most of the online Discussion Board
With iTools Online, you can present material to the whole class, encourage heads-up learning and interaction, and motivate your students with engaging video and interactive activities.
Answer keys and teaching notes support your teaching, while extra video content exclusive to iTools Online allows you to expand your lessons.
To get started with iTools Online, register at Oxford Learner's Bookshelf and enter your access code.
For teachers without internet connectivity in their classroom, iTools USB is also available, and includes downloadable teacher resources.
“In my view this is a first-rate coursebook and provides students with a solid grounding in reading and writing in an academic context.”
Rory O’Kane in Modern English Teacher (January 2016)