Jenny Bixby, Meg Brooks, Nigel Caplan, Miles Craven, Debra Daise, Scott Douglas, Susan Earle-Carlin, Rob Freire, Margot Gramer, Tamara Jones, Joe McVeigh, Sarah Lynn, Kevin McClure, Charl Norloff, Jaimie Scanlon, Kristin Sherman, Mari Vargo, Colin Ward, Larry Zwier, Jenni Currie Santamaria, Susan Iannuzzi, Lawrence Lawson and Karen Hamilton.
Q: Skills for Success Third Edition builds on its question-centered approach to help students achieve academic success. 90% of teachers believe that Q: Skills for Success has played a significant part in improving the skills their students need for academic study.*
- Language Level: Beginner to Advanced
- Teaching hours: 100
Q: Skills for Success is renowned for helping students to achieve academic success in English.
The Third Edition helps students to develop the techniques and critical thinking skills they need for academic study with new Critical Thinking Strategies, updated texts and topics and 100% new assessment.
- Student Book and iQ Online Practice
- Student Book e-book and iQ Online Practice
- Teacher's Access Card
- Audio CDs
- Split Pack A and iQ Online Practice
- Split Pack B and iQ Online Practice
- iQ Online Practice
- Classroom Presentation Tool
- Teacher's Handbook with Teacher's Access Card
- Each unit video now has NEW "Work with the Video" pages in the Student Book to guide students in watching, understanding, and discussing the unit videos.
- NEW Critical Thinking Strategies and activities in every unit help students analyze, develop and justify their ideas. Online videos accompany each strategy to help students gain a deeper understanding.
- NEW skills videos provide illustrated explanations of skills and grammar points in the Student Book to support students' skills development.
- 100% NEW unit, placement, midterm and final tests have been developed with feedback from real teachers.
- Clear learning outcomes and reflection worksheets encourage students to evaluate their own progress, reflect on their learning, and identify areas for improvement.
- iQ Online Practice is now suitable for mobile use which gives students greater flexibility in where and when they get extra skills practice, access audio and video, and check their progress. The NEW Extensive Reading program offers an Oxford Graded Reader aligned to each unit to motivate students in their reading.
- Vocabulary from the NEW Oxford Phrasal Academic Lexicon helps students to develop essential spoken and written language for their academic studies.
- Vocabulary from the Oxford 3000™ and new Oxford 5000™ provide students with the most frequent and relevant words they need in English, as chosen by language experts.
Q: Skills for Success develops the critical thinking skills your students need.
- NEW Critical Thinking Strategies and activities in every unit to help students analyze, develop and justify their ideas.
- NEW author-voiced videos accompany each strategy to guide your students' critical thinking and help them gain a deeper understanding.
Q: Skills for Success prepares students with the core language skills and the softer skills they need for academic success.
- The Third Edition promotes continuous learning and encourages students to evaluate their own progress with detailed answer explanations and reflection worksheets. Find all testing material online in the Teacher's Resources.
- New texts and videos are on topics that have been chosen by teachers to inspire students to engage with their learning.
- A research-based vocabulary program focuses on the words students need to know academically and professionally. The vocabulary syllabus in Q: Skills for Success is correlated to the CEFR and linked to two word lists:
- The Oxford 3000™ and new Oxford 5000™, which list the core words that every learner needs to know, chosen by language experts.
- The Oxford Phrasal Academic Lexicon (OPAL), which is collection of four word lists that provide an essential guide to the most important words and phrases to know in academic English. The OPAL includes both spoken and written academic English and both individual words and longer phrases.
- iQ Online Practice is now optimised for mobile use, allowing students to get extra skills practice, access audio and video, and check their progress – whenever and wherever suits them. This includes all Unit Videos, new Critical Thinking Videos and new Skills Videos that provide illustrated explanations of skills and grammar points in the Student Book.
- The refreshed iQ Online Practice Discussion Board lets students discuss their learning with their peers.
- The updated Writing Tutor supports students to practice their academic writing skills (available with Reading and Writing iQ Online Practice only).
- For further practice and motivation, the new Extensive Reading program offers sample chapters from Oxford Graded Readers aligned to each unit.
Q: Skills for Success
Q: Skills for Success is designed to develop students’ English language and study skills to prepare them for academic success. We undertook an impact study* to find out if Q: Skills for Success is perceived to improve the metacognitive skills students need for academic study, including core skills, softer skills and critical thinking skills.
* An impact study is research that investigates a particular change or outcome that a product or service has on the group of people it is intended to help or benefit.
Found to help students to improve the metacognitive skills they need for academic study
- 90% of teachers agreed that Q: Skills for Success has played a significant part in improving the skills their students need for academic study
- 81% of teachers agreed that Q: Skills for Success improves the softer skills students need to develop effective study techniques
- 80% of teachers agreed that Q: Skills for Success has helped to improve students’ critical thinking skills, particularly in synthesizing and organizing ideas.
Download the summary report (PDF, 2,2 MB)
How does Q: Skills for Success develop academic skills?
"The content really helped my students learn study strategies especially for vocabulary meaning and usage - they really benefited from the collocations and vocabulary practice. The listening portions also really challenged and grew my students’ comprehension."Teacher, USA
"The attention to word families has helped students expand and deepen their vocabulary knowledge."Head of Department, Japan
How does Q: Skills for Success help to improve students’ critical thinking skills?
"…[students have] developed synthesizing skills by having to think about information from videos, audio recordings, their own thinking, and class discussions and then organizing ideas from that information into a cohesive written expression of what they learned. They have gained a lot of self-confidence."Teacher, USA
"…this series is a whole new world for [students] as they are required to think, analyze and synthesize concepts."Teacher, USA
The Q: Skills for Success impact study was conducted between September 2018 and March 2019. 115 teachers took part.
Q: Skills for Success now has a new edition! Built on the success of the previous editions, with many new features such as New Critical Thinking Strategies, New videos, and vocabulary from the New Oxford Phrasal Academic Lexicon.