Special Educational Needs
Special Educational Needs
Special Educational Needs provides teachers with strategies and practical teaching ideas for including students with special educational needs in mainstream language classrooms.
- Part of: Into the Classroom
- ISBN: 978-0-19-420037-0
Special Educational Needs is a practical guide for primary and secondary teachers of English working with students with SEN, divided into three clear sections. It offers teachers a general understanding of SEN, successful teaching approaches, and clear guidance for specific types of SEN.
- Helps teachers recognise the main types of SEN and address the three key problem areas which commonly affect learning
- Gives clear practical tips on planning and classroom management which will benefit all students, not only those with SEN
- Emphasises the importance of working collaboratively with parents/carers and provides strategies to do this effectively
- Guides teachers through the use of assistive technology to support SEN learning
- Extra resources are available on the website
This title is part of the highly regarded Into the Classroom series - short, practical guides that help teachers who work in the primary and secondary school setting to make sense of new teaching tools, techniques, and educational policy, with ideas for implementing them in the classroom.
- "One of the great strengths of this book [is] that it so effectively integrates students with SEN into the mainstream classroom by encouraging teachers and other students to understand and celebrate all their individual differences... extremely useful and informative... Although this book is written for primary and secondary school teachers, it can be used by teachers in a wide variety of settings and across different age ranges. In fact, many activities can be
adults with little or no adaptation. This is a book that should be on every teacher's bookshelf."
- English Teaching Professional
- "The author, an educational psychotherapist, advises us to 'see the person, not the disability'. This book is rich in practical ideas and strategies - using mind maps, playing mood music, learning through games and colour-coding patterns within words. The section on assistive technology is especially useful. Informative and helpful."
- EL Gazette
after reading Special Educational Needs I felt less of the 'lost and confused' marked in the Introduction... One would surely wish for SEN to become an essential part of teacher education and a thoughtful and practical book such as Special Educational Needs is an important step towards guiding the profession in this direction."
Modern English Teacher
- written by [an] educator and expert who [is] very knowledgeable, experienced, and
passionate about the subject... The
book gives teachers more strategies and develops confidence and an understanding of how to assist SEN learners... extremely useful... [teachers will] love the snappy and adaptable activities offered...
- Hanna Kryszewska, English Language Teaching Journal