Mixed-Ability Teaching shows how collaborative ways of working can promote a positive classroom atmosphere and offer support and challenge for every student.
Mixed-Ability Teaching is designed to support teachers working with mixed-ability English language groups.
- Helps teachers prepare effectively for lessons by looking at the factors and variables that characterize mixed-ability groups
- Suggests constructive and imaginative solutions to the challenges associated with activating all learners in mixed-ability groups
- Explores a learner-centred approach to assessment and develops techniques that combine evaluation with learning
- Provides practical classroom ideas for improving the learning environment through differentiated and open-ended language learning activities
- Extra resources are available
This title is part of the highly regarded Into the Classroom series - short, practical guides that help teachers who work in the primary and secondary school setting to make sense of new teaching tools, techniques, and educational policy, with ideas for implementing them in the classroom.
- "This is a very useful book which deals thoroughly with all aspects of the challenges of teaching mixed-ability classes and provides a huge variety of strategies and techniques that teachers can use to maximise the potential of all their students."
- English Teaching Professional
- "The book shows how collaborative ways of working can promote a positive classroom atmosphere. It provides differentiated learning activities and is packed with
- EL Gazette
- "This book is a valuable resource for any teacher's professional development. It not only sees some positives in mixed-ability teaching and suggests strategies and differentiated tasks to help cope with the difficulties that arise, it also supports teachers looking for ways of developing learner autonomy. Although the activities provided in the book are primarily intended for primary and secondary school students, when they are creatively
developed they can be
easily transferred to other groups of students."
- Modern English Teacher
- "This is an excellent resource on teaching mixed-ability primary and secondary language classes... Although it is geared towards new teachers, it also offers fresh ideas for more experienced instructors who may be looking for new ways to teach."
- ELT Journal