Putting CLIL into Practice e-book
Putting CLIL into Practice e-book
Phil Ball, Keith Kelly and John Clegg
|Format:||e-book (ebooks.com, Android, Kobo, OLF, RM Books)|
This book offers a new methodological framework for the CLIL classroom, focusing on how to guide input and support output.
- ISBN: 978-0-19-442102-7
- Print Length (pages): 336
Putting CLIL into Practice offers a new methodological framework for the CLIL classroom, focusing on how to guide input and support output.
Full of real-life examples and practical guidelines, the book provides support to both novice and experienced CLIL teachers.
- Real-life examples and practical guidelines help CLIL teachers to successfully put CLIL into practice in their own contexts
- Provides support for both novice and experienced CLIL teachers
- Areas covered include: the language used in CLIL, CLIL teacher training, materials design, and assessment in CLIL
- Extra resources are available on the website
- What is CLIL?
- Defining parameters
- The content - language relationship
- Principles and practice of language in CLIL
- Guiding input
- Supporting output
- Designing materials for CLIL
- Assessment in CLIL
- Managing CLIL in schools
- Training teachers for CLIL
Extra resources, including discussion questions and links to all of the resources described in the book, are available on the
This book is part of Oxford Handbooks for Language Teachers, the highly regarded series covering the topics language teachers want to know more about. Recommended for reference, or for language teacher educators to use as a basis for teacher education courses and seminars.
- Practising language teachers
- Language teacher educators
- ELT and TESOL Masters and Diploma students
About the authors
Phil Ball is a CLIL author and teacher trainer based in northern Spain.
Keith Kelly is a writer and speaker on CLIL worldwide, and is based in Plovdiv, Bulgaria.
John Clegg is a textbook author and CLIL consultant based in London.
- 'This volume contains a wide range of novel ideas [and a] rich myriad of criteria, guidelines, and sample materials...
- While the chapters focus on CLIL practice, the book as a whole should be recognised for its theoretical contributions and recommendations. In relation to practice, there are two outstanding features which are worth mentioning. First, the authors succeed in illustrating every point made through real-life examples of teaching
and learning situations as
well as activities and materials which have been tried out in specific contexts... Second, their treatment of assessment is exemplar for it offers different courses of action based on the possible scenarios we can find in real institutions and educational systems... The CLIL pedagogy outlined in the volume shows how doable it can be through careful planning, reflection, and collaboration. This book succeeds its aim of offering a classroom-based vision of CLIL through a reader-friendly
- International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism
- 'immensely informative... many issues are clearly explained'
- EL Gazette
- 'Where does anyone start when writing about CLIL (Content and Language Integrated Learning) - and how can they make it equally relevant to teachers tasked with teaching the functioning of the human respiratory system and those attempting to explain the Wars of the Roses to subtends of English history?...
This book attempts to
take into account some of this variety as it examines the nature of CLIL, the skills and techniques which this form of education demands, and some of the criteria required to ensure its success... [It is] richly illustrated with tasks from a large number of CLIL areas... Each chapter ends with a useful summary and recommendations for further reading [and] a glossary (particularly helpful in a field riddled with acronymns)...'
- English Teaching Professional
- "contains much relevant advice and a wealth of useful suggestions... This book is very important because it is a practical guide to the way that English language education is heading."
- Modern English Teacher
- "this substantial volume offers a vast array of ideas, activities and checklists on all aspects of CLIL that bear witness to the authors' concern with conceptual foundations as well as their creativity and
experience as CLIL consultants
and language-teaching experts. Without doubt, this book is an important contribution to the advancement of teaching methodology in CLIL and will help spread the word about good pedagogy in CLIL contexts around the world."
- ELT Jounal
Online resources for Putting CLIL into Practice which you can download and use in self-study or teacher-training groups:
- A sample extract from Chapter Two
- Weblinks to related content on other websites
- Discussion Questions
- A personal note from the authors
Click here to find out more.