Focus On Reading e-book for Kindle
Focus On Reading e-book for Kindle
Esther Geva and Gloria Ramirez
Focus on Reading aims to help teachers develop a deep understanding of the multiple skills and factors involved in second language reading development and to equip them with practical skills for the effective teaching and assessment of second language reading.
- Part of: Oxford Key Concepts for the Language Classroom
- Language Level: Advanced
- ISBN: 978-0-19-400287-5
Oxford Key Concepts for the Language Classroom focuses on key topics for teaching English as a second or foreign language. These instructional guides are informed by research in second language acquisition and language pedagogy, and show the relevance of theory to the practising teacher.
This series is for teachers of English as a second or foreign language for learners aged 5-18. It is suitable for students working towards MA TESOL, graduate certificate, or diploma qualifications, and for practising teachers' professional development programs.
- Aims to help teachers develop a deep understanding of the multiple skills and factors involved in second language reading development for second or foreign language learners aged 5-18
- Equips teachers with practical skills for the effective teaching and assessment of second language reading to students with different learning needs
- Features key research studies on reading comprehension, considers examples from real classroom practice, and provides activities to help teachers relate the content and objectives to their own teaching context
- Additional online resources
The series is suitable for students working towards MA TESOL, graduate certificates, or diploma qualifications, and for practising teachers’ professional development programs.
Each title in the series includes:
- Spotlight Studies, highlighting important research on learning and teaching.
- Classroom Snapshots, featuring descriptions of teachers and students engaged in different approaches to learning and teaching.
- Activities, encouraging comparison and reflection.
- "Focus on Reading dissects key research on L2 reading and provides implications and resources for incorporating them into instructional practice. The authors dispel myths about L2 reading by closely examining relevant research and theory. This book will be of high utility for dual language, ESL and reading teachers who work with diverse English language learners."
- Margarita Calderón, Professor Emerita, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore
- "This particular
title aims to equip teachers and teachers in training with the practical skills they will need to teach second language reading to students with different learning needs... This book covers many aspects of the subject in a readable and accessible way, and I can recommend it to anyone who teaches reading to students in primary and secondary schools."
- English Teaching Professional
- "The coherent and easy-to-follow organisation of this book, the reference to up-to-date
and the inclusion of a variety of activities, make it an invaluable resource."
- Modern English Teacher
- "Like other books in this innovative series, Focus on Reading links research and practice... I enjoyed learning about the characteristics of online reading and 'assistive technologies', and the transition between 'learning to read' and 'reading to learn'. The 10-page glossary is helpful. Fascinating."
- EL Gazette
These research-led instructional guides link the theories of second language acquisition and pedagogy with classroom practice, enabling teachers to reflect on what happens in the language classroom. The series editors, Patsy M. Lightbown and Nina Spada, are highly respected worldwide for making theory and research about language learning accessible and relevant to classroom teaching.