Focus On Assessment e-book
Focus On Assessment e-book
Research-led guide helping teachers understand, design, implement, and evaluate language assessment
Eunice Eunhee Jang
|Format:||e-book (Kobo, ebooks.com, Apple devices, OLF, Android, RM Books)|
Finalist for SAGE/ILTA Award for Best Book on Language Testing 2012-2015
Referencing classroom-based research and classroom vignettes,Focus on Assessment helps you to understand research evidence in language assessment for students aged 6-16. It develops your ability to design, implement, and critically evaluate language assessment.
- ISBN: 978-0-19-400298-1
- Print Length (pages): 144
Focus on Assessment recognizes the multiple roles teachers play in language assessment and the importance of teacher assessment competence. It explores key areas of teaching and assessment, such as ensuring a positive assessment experience, the importance of cognitively rich tasks that measure essential core language skills, and promoting learner autonomy.
Examples from real classroom practice and key research studies are an integral part of the book, with activities to help you relate research and theory on language assessment to your own teaching context.
- Features examples from real classroom practice and key research studies from a variety of classroom contexts
- Examines language frameworks and standards for assessment in school education
- Provides activities to help you relate research and theory to your teaching context
The book includes:
- Spotlight Studies, highlighting important research on teaching and assessment.
- Classroom Snapshots, featuring descriptions of teachers and students engaged in different approaches to learning and teaching.
- Activities which encourage comparison and reflection, helping you to relate research and theory on language assessment to your own teaching context.
Eunice Eunhee Jang is Associate Professor in the Department of Applied Psychology and Human Development at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, University of Toronto.
- "I'm delighted to find a book designed to help school teachers understand the complexities of language assessment. It discusses important principles and issues for assessing young and adolescent language learners. The book is well-researched and succeeds in making relevant research findings accessible to teachers."
- Antony John Kunnan, Professor of English, University of Macau
- "Focus on Assessment is part of the innovative Oxford Key Concepts series which helps teachers understand research. Five chapters explore the principles of assessing learners aged six to sixteen. Chapter one describes the uses of language assessment. Chapter two, on the theory of language development, is particularly strong on how learners develop language proficiency. Chapters three and
four focus on young
learners and adolescents respectively. The final chapter succinctly describes what we currently know about language assessment. I like the interactive approach, with readers being asked regular questions. Aimed at teachers taking an MA Tesol or diploma. Includes a useful glossary. Insightful."
- EL Gazette, September 2015. Reviews by Pete Sharma
- "Although it is based on the most up-to-date empirical insights in the field, it is written in an engaging and readable style.
What makes it
unique is its use-focused approach, i.e. how teachers use language assessment to inform their pedagogy. Focus on Assessment brings us new perspectives. It is highly recommended for pre- and in-service teachers and graduate students in TESOL"
- Modern English Teacher