Focus On Reading
Focus On Reading
Esther Geva and Gloria Ramirez
Focus on Reading aims to help teachers develop a deep understanding of the multiple skills and factors involved in second language reading development and to equip them with practical skills for the effective teaching and assessment of second language reading.
- Part of: Oxford Key Concepts for the Language Classroom
- ISBN: 978-0-19-400312-4
Oxford Key Concepts for the Language Classroom focuses on key topics for teaching English as a second or foreign language. These instructional guides are informed by research in second language acquisition and language pedagogy, and show the relevance of theory to the practising teacher.
This series is for teachers of English as a second or foreign language for learners aged 5-18. It is suitable for students working towards MA TESOL, graduate certificate, or diploma qualifications, and for practising teachers' professional development programs.
- Aims to help teachers develop a deep understanding of the multiple skills and factors involved in second language reading development for second or foreign language learners aged 5-18.
- Equips teachers with practical skills for the effective teaching and assessment of second language reading to students with different learning needs.
- Features key research studies on reading comprehension, considers examples from real classroom practice, and provides activities to help teachers relate the content and objectives to their own teaching context.
- Additional online resources
- Focus on Reading dissects key research on L2 reading and provides implications and resources for incorporating them into instructional practice. The authors dispel myths about L2 reading by closely examining relevant research and theory. This book will be of high utility for dual language, ESL and reading teachers who work with diverse English language learners.
- Margarita Calderón, Professor Emerita, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore
- 'This particular
title aims to equip teachers and teachers in training with the practical skills they will need to teach second language reading to students with different learning needs... This book covers many aspects of the subject in a readable and accessible way, and I can recommend it to anyone who teaches reading to students in primary and secondary schools.'
- English Teaching Professional