Focus on Assessment e-book
+ Sales Tax
Focus on Assessment e-book
Research-led guide helping teachers understand, design, implement, and evaluate language assessment
Eunice Eunhee Jang
Referencing classroom-based research and classroom vignettes, Focus on Assessment helps you to understand research evidence in language assessment for students aged 6-16. It develops your ability to design, implement, and critically evaluate language assessment.
- ISBN: 978-0-19-455762-7
- Price: GBP 11.24 + Sales Tax
Focus on Assessment recognizes the multiple roles teachers play in language assessment and the importance of teacher assessment competence. It explores key areas of teaching and assessment, such as ensuring a positive assessment experience, the importance of cognitively rich tasks that measure essential core language skills, and promoting learner autonomy.
Examples from real classroom practice and key research studies are an integral part of the book, with activities to help you relate research and theory on language assessment to your own teaching context.
The e-book is available for iPad and tablets for Android via the Oxford Learner's Bookshelf app and on a computer at www.oxfordlearnersbookshelf.com. Study offline or online, from a tablet or computer and your notes, web links and annotations sync between devices.
- Features examples from real classroom practice and key research studies from a variety of classroom contexts.
- Examines language frameworks and standards for assessment in school education.
- Provides activities to help you relate research and theory to your teaching context.
The book includes:
- Spotlight Studies, highlighting important research on teaching and assessment.
- Classroom Snapshots, featuring descriptions of teachers and students engaged in different approaches to learning and teaching.
- Activities which encourage comparison and reflection, helping you to relate research and theory on language assessment to your own teaching context.
Eunice Eunhee Jang is Associate Professor in the Department of Applied Psychology and Human Development at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, University of Toronto.
- I'm delighted to find a book designed to help school teachers understand the complexities of language assessment. It discusses important principles and issues for assessing young and adolescent language learners. The book is well-researched and succeeds in making relevant research findings accessible to teachers.
- Antony John Kunnan, Professor of English, University of Macau
- ...part of the innovative Oxford Key Concepts series which helps
teachers to understand
research... I like the interactive approach... Insightful.
- EL Gazette
- Although it is based on the most up-to-date empirical insights in the field, it is written in an engaging and readable style. What makes it unique is its use-focused approach, i.e. how teachers use language assessment to inform their pedagogy. Focus on Assessment brings us new perspectives. It is highly recommended for pre- and in-service teachers and graduate students in TESOL
- Modern English Teacher
- With this timely volume, Eunice Jang, an accomplished researcher in this field, offers to help teachers to understand the emerging evidence on classroom assessment and to use it as an incentive to think critically about their own practices... an engaging and informative book that deftly guides the reader through some complex practical and ethical issues... even experienced teachers will be challenged to think about assessment in new ways.
- Anthony Green, ELT Journal
- Although the book is aimed at language teachers at primary and secondary level, I would recommend it to anyone seeking to deepen their knowledge and understanding of the purpose, use and methods of assessment, which in turn will allow them to provide their learners with more meaningful assessment and a better overall learning experience.
- English Teaching Professional
- This is an engaging and informative book that deftly guides the reader through
some complex practical
and ethical issues with intelligent use of examples.
- Anthony Green, ELT
The licence period for this product is perpetual.
The use of this product is subject to the Oxford Learners Bookshelf terms and conditions
These research-led instructional guides link the theories of second language acquisition and pedagogy with classroom practice, enabling teachers to reflect on what happens in the language classroom. The series editors, Patsy M. Lightbown and Nina Spada, are highly respected worldwide for making theory and research about language learning accessible and relevant to classroom teaching.