+ Sales Tax
|Format:||Online Resource (Kindle, ebooks.com, Kobo, Apple devices, Android, OLF, RM Books)|
This book tackles all the basic problems of pronunciation teaching and suggests ways students can improve their techniques. It provides a rich resource of imaginative ideas and techniques for teaching pronunciation.
- Part of: Resource Books for Teachers
- ISBN: 978-0-19-442610-7
- Price: USD 35.00 + Sales Tax
- Print Length (pages): 144
Provides a rich resource of imaginative ideas and techniques for teaching pronunciation.
- Goes beyond exercises based on a description of the phonemic system by coming to grips with the underlying reasons why learners fail to achieve good pronunciation.
- Builds students' confidence by encouraging a holistic approach. It includes activities to improve rhythm, stress, and intonation as well as individual sounds.
The author and series editor
How to use this book
1 Tuning in to the language (13 activities)
Activities to help students gain confidence and get used to looking and sounding different when speaking a second language.
2 The beat and tune of English (25 activities)
Activities to develop an awareness of the stress and rhythm of English. The first activities aim at arousing a sense of rhythm in general. Then rhythm is associated with stress and language, and a variety of activities gradually approach utterances in terms of rhythm, tune, voice quality, body language, sensory perception, affective response, and aesthetic sense.
3 Approaching speech sounds (19 activities)
Activities which help learners become more aware of the sounds of English. There are activities which give learners the opportunity to approach the actual production of sounds, and activities which show ways to approach the links between spelling and pronunciation.
Many activities in this chapter also try to generate a personal relationship with the sounds of the language by activating the learners' sense of beauty.
4 Correcting (11 activities)
Activities which aim to help learners get rid of wrong imprinting, and correct mistakes. Several activities tackle the fear of making mistakes.
Appendix: Phonemic symbols
- 'I would recommend it to all teachers of English pronunciation for its fresh ideas and holistic approach.' - BBC English |k Y