|Format:||e-book (Kindle, ebooks.com, Kobo, Apple devices, Android, OLF, RM Books)|
This very popular series gives teachers practical advice and guidance, together with resource ideas and materials for the classroom.
- Part of: Resource Books for Teachers
- ISBN: 978-0-19-442611-4
- Print Length (pages): 144
Practical, creative and original ideas show teachers how they can make effective use of English-language newspapers in the classroom.
- The activities include ways of exploiting newspapers both for their language and their cultural content.
- The majority of activities need little teacher preparation time.
- A useful appendix provides a guide to the availability of English-language newspapers worldwide.
How to use this book
1 Working creatively with newspapers
A short chapter inviting teachers to take stock of their existing knowledge and think about the kinds of new ideas that could be introduced into the classroom.
2 Building confidence and familiarity (30 activities)
Activities designed to make students feel that they can handle newspapers.
3 Working with texts (22 activities)
Text-based activities which require extensive, discriminating, authentic reading.
4 Working with pictures (15 activities)
Matching activities which treat texts and pictures as complementary and in a parallel relationship.
5 Project work (14 activities)
A range of ideas for project work, some requiring half a day's work, and others several days or even weeks.
6 Personal responses (19 activities)
Activities which bring together responses to newspaper materials and personal experiences, memories, and feelings.
- 'A superb contribution to language teaching and learning.'
- Modern Language Journal