insight is a five-level British English course for secondary students that will challenge your students to reach their full potential, develop their understanding and knowledge of language and inspire them to a lifelong love of learning.
- Language Level: Elementary to Advanced (A1-C1)
insight is packed full of thought-provoking topics, information-rich texts and interesting activities and tasks that will motivate and engage your students whilst challenging their opinions and inspiring them to think critically about the world they live in.
insight will help your students to develop a deeper understanding of how language works. Lesson material looks at not just the meaning of vocabulary but also the grammatical rules that govern its use, enabling students to use language with confidence.
insight offers everything you need to make your lessons engaging and informative, whilst the interactive online teaching tools and integrated video/audio will enrich your students' learning in the classroom.
Students are supported to learn good study habits through strategy boxes and step-by-step guides throughout the course, and unlimited online practice enhances independent learning at home, whilst also allowing you to easily track student’s progress and spend less time marking.
- Student's Book
- Workbook with Online Practice
- Online Workbook Plus
- Teacher's Book and Resource Disk
- Classroom Presentation Tool
- Class Audio CDs
- Test Bank Multi-ROM
- Thought-provoking topics and information-rich texts will challenge your students' opinions, educate them about the world they live in, and inspire classroom and online discussion
- A coherent and systematic vocabulary syllabus, vocabulary insight pages, a ten-page vocabulary bank and additional online vocabulary practice explore vocabulary in greater depth
- Culture pages in every unit and related video available on DVD, Classroom Presentation Tool or the Workbook with Online Practice and the Online Workbook Plus will broaden your students' understanding and knowledge of the customs, traditions, and history of English-speaking countries
- Optional literature-based lessons in the Workbook allow you to enrich your classes with extracts of classic English literature from a wide range of genres
- All school-leaving exam topics are covered, and exam-like tasks appear throughout to help prepare your students for their exams
- Flexible Workbook options available to suit your students' needs. Choose the print Workbook, the print Workbook with Online Practice or the Online Workbook Plus (please note that the Online Workbook Plus is not available at the Advanced Level)
- With the Online Practice, and Online Workbook Plus, students will have everything in one place with integrated video and audio and links to the Grammar Reference and Wordlists. You'll also easily be able to follow students' progress and stay in touch with them outside class using the messaging and discussion tools
With insight your students get an insight into the world with topics that will inspire them to think. Interesting subjects range from the science of taste, to immigration in New York, and the history of the BBC.
The topics in insight include nuggets of information that your students will want to tell their friends and family about, helping them remember the lesson and the language points that were covered, and because all the material is based on actual facts and real-life events, students can take their learning even further by finding out more about the topics at home.
Language for life (not just for exams)
insight will help your students to develop a broad and deep understanding of language with a syllabus that challenges them to go deeper. They will learn about the rules of grammar and vocabulary such as collocation, word building, register and connotation, helping them to gain a greater awareness of not just the theory, but also of how to use grammar and vocabulary in practice.
The vocabulary insight pages develop students' dictionary and thesaurus skills enabling them to work more independently and they can further practise their skills in vocabulary and grammar at home using the Online Practice material.
Developing independent study skills
insight prepares your students for a life of learning with a focus on developing their independent study skills and encouraging autonomous learning. Progress check pages in the Workbook allow students to reflect on and take responsibility for their learning. Strategy boxes with step-by-step guides in every unit develop your student's core skills, while a dedicated double page writing spread in every unit with a step-by-step writing guide builds good writing habits.
The interactive tools in the Online Workbook Plus and Online Practice encourage students to independently review their learning. Students can practise an activity as many times as they need and check if they answered correctly. Automatic marking, the integrated Speak and Record feature, and instant links to the Grammar Reference and Wordlists all enhance the supportive environment for independent learning beyond the classroom.
Supporting your teaching practice
There is a wealth of additional resources available to support your teaching with insight, including the Teacher’s Resource Disk, Class Audio CDs, a Test Bank Multi-ROM (playable on a computer or a CD player) and all the digital tools found in the Classroom Presentation Tool.
The Online Gradebook keeps you up to date with students' learning, making it easy for you to track and report on progress, and letting you quickly identify strengths and weaknesses within a class.
“Learning vocabulary is more vivid and interesting than ever.” Miroslava Gajdošová, Slovakia
“Vocabulary insight pages give my students a better understanding about English vocabulary. They learn how words function in the language, and how it is necessary to look at the meanings in context instead of just taking the first meaning.” Rita Rudaitiene, Lithuania
“The topics in insight focus on realities that teenagers can easily connect with . . . As a consequence, students not only develop their language skills but also their communication skills because they participate more enthusiastically in discussions.” Deolinda Araújo, Portugal
“My students learn more than just English.” Janine Laudolt, Switzerland
“The best thing is that there are plenty of small speaking exercises in which students are encouraged to use the same vocabulary again.” Maeike Kiers, the Netherlands
“The topics are the key ones that are part of school leaving exams.” Ivanna Herbst, Slovakia
“This is the textbook I really enjoy teaching from.” Jana Bodláková, Czech Republic
Insight is a popular secondary English Language Teaching course designed for motivated students, challenging them to reach their full potential and inspiring a lifelong love of learning. A qualitative impact study* was conducted in order to gain an in-depth understanding of how teachers feel that Insight encourages their students to think deeply about language and the wider world.
* An impact study is research that investigates a particular change or outcome that a product or service has on the group of people it is intended to help or benefit..
Found to encourage students to think deeply about language and the wider world.
We gathered deep and rich feedback from teachers using in-depth interviews and found the following:Key findings:
- Insight’s real-life, engaging topics stimulate learner’s interest
- Insight’s information-rich texts facilitate conversation and exploration
- Insight’s challenging syllabus encourages deep thinking
- Insight’s vocabulary insights enable exploration of vocabulary and language in greater depth
Download the summary report (PDF, 753 KB)
“It’s the topics…they are good for conversation, for speaking exercises”.Teacher, Italy
“When I use Insight I see that the authors have really thought about it, that they actually want us to teach those study skills. They give tips, they tell the students how to get about certain exercises and this is great”.Teacher, Poland
“…These [topics] are all things that students can relate to, connect to. This aspect makes it interesting to read those texts”.Teacher, Benelux
“…it talks a lot to the heart and to the lives of the students and so they commit to it and they don’t mind exploring it and they do it happily”.Teacher, Portugal
The Insight impact study was conducted in February and March 2020. 12 teachers from 4 countries took part in the qualitative research.