You can visit our worldwide website for our globally available teaching resources, or visit our local website for for products, events and materials for your area.
Please choose below:
Naomi Simmons, Tamzin Thompson and Jenny Quintana
New Family and Friends 2nd Edition combines brand-new fluency, culture, assessment, and digital resources with the features teachers love from the first edition; fast-paced language, strong skills training, unique phonics programme, civic education and comprehensive testing.
- Рівень: Beginner to Elementary (Pre A1-B2.1)
Features for Family and Friends 2nd edition include real-world fluency development with supporting DVD, interactive Online Practice, new and updated assessment and testing material, and additional culture focus sections.
- Class Book
- Workbook and Online Practice
- Teacher’s Book Plus
- Teacher’s Resource Pack
- Classroom Presentation Tool
- Fluency Time! sections introduce functional, everyday language so pupils can hold a conversation from the very beginning
- Hands-on project and craft activities provide fun, motivating speaking practice
- Optional culture pages offer more variety and opportunities for cultural comparisons
- Online Practice you can assign and track
- Teacher’s Book Plus Package with Classroom Presentation Tool, Fluency DVD and Teacher's Assessment and Resources content.
Family and Friends has a very clear methodology with objectives for every lesson, and carefully staged activities to support your pupils’ learning.
Every unit opens with a clear vocabulary and grammar presentation to introduce new language. The challenging syllabus encourages children to achieve more.
Skills Time! lessons provide a strong structured skills programme so listening, speaking and literacy skills are continually improving. New and updated content for 2nd Edition means learners will engage even more with the topics.
New differentiated writing portfolios in the Teacher’s Assessment and Resources help with mixed-ability classes and mean you can keep a record of your learners’ writing achievements.
Phonics is straightforward and fun! Children learn to recognize and produce the sounds of English, the letters that form them and the words that contain them. This means each sound is taught in a way that’s easy to understand. The progression is specially written for non-native speakers and is particularly well structured for children who do not use the Roman alphabet.
New optional culture sections at the back of the book offer even more variety with opportunities for learners to compare their own life with those of English-speaking children of the same age. They cover topics such as family, wildlife, and school which are all familiar subjects so learners will have something to relate to and talk about.
Do you need help preparing for tests?
There are print-ready and customizable course tests so you can create tests to practise a particular language point or to suit mixed ability classes. There is new additional preparation and practice material for Cambridge English (YLE) and Trinity exams.
But it's not only about academic success - Family and Friends develops the whole child too. The values syllabus, found in the songs and stories, helps children develop social and emotional skills which guarantee success in the classroom and at home.
They introduce functional everyday English. Pupils learn key phrases that will help them in real-life situations, such as introducing people, making arrangements, looking for and finding things, or communicating at the dinner table. This means pupils can practise speaking and hold a conversation from the very beginning.
The Fluency Time! Sections are supported by a Fluency DVD. Learners can see British children using the new language in real-life situations that are familiar to them, for example, at the park and at school. They can also use the DVD as a model to act out their own stories.
There are new project and craft activities in the Fluency Time! sections too. Kinaesthetic learners will love the hands-on element and all learners can use their completed craft projects to practise everyday English phrases in a more personalized dialogue.
All the templates and instructions for the projects are in the Teacher’s Assessment and Resources making it really easy to set these activities up in class.
As well useful phrases which reflect daily life, the Everyday English phrases give additional preparation and practice of language needed for the speaking part of the Cambridge English: (YLE) exams.
All the Fluency Time! Material is supported by extra comprehension activities in the Workbook.
- Teachers can easily give homework which is marked and recorded automatically. You can also engage with your pupils directly through email and discussion forums.
- Students have interactive practice in grammar, vocabulary and the four key skills. They can also communicate and share their work with other members of the class.
- Parents can support and view their child’s progress online.
Online Practice is compatible on a range of platforms. It can be used with a laptop, PC, Android device or iPad©.
Family and Friends
‘Family and Friends’ is Oxford’s best-selling primary English Language Teaching course of all time, and has helped millions of students across the globe to succeed in English. We carried out an impact study* to gain an in-depth understanding of how teachers feel that Family and Friends contributes to their students’ exam success.
* An impact study is research that investigates a particular change or outcome that a product or service has on the group of people it is intended to help or benefit.
Found to have a positive impact on students achieving exam success.
- 97% of teachers agreed that using Family and Friends has helped their students to improve the core skills (reading, writing, speaking, and listening) they need to achieve exam success.
- 96% agreed that Family and Friends supports students in the core vocabulary acquisition needed for exam success.
- 95% agreed that Family and Friends has a clear and consistently structured syllabus that stretches students of all abilities, helping to ensure the best possible outcome in their exams.
- 94% agreed that Family and Friends supports students to develop a strong grammatical foundation in preparation for their exams.
- 91% agreed that Family and Friends provides plenty of opportunities for their students to practise the skills needed to achieve exam success.
- 92% agreed that using Family and Friends helped their students achieve exam success.
Download the summary report (PDF, 2MB)
“My student, whom I taught at school and privately, primarily with Family & Friends won a scholarship to study abroad. The exams were all taken in English.”English Language Teacher, Thailand
“All my students passed their Cambridge exams, a substantial number with merit. All my students gained sound skills in writing, reading and speaking.”Head of Department, Greece
“One of my learners achieved only two shields for each skill in her first Starter exam before she entered my class. After attending my three-month course with Family and Friends 2 and exam practice, she improved a lot in four skills and achieved three shields in Speaking and Reading”English Language Teacher, Vietnam
“I have a 95% pass rate since switching to Family & Friends.”English Language Teacher, Thailand
The Family and Friends impact study was conducted in November 2019. 269 teachers from 21 countries took part.