Suzanne Torres, Helen Casey, Kirstie Grainger, Katherine Bilsborough, Steve Bilsborough, Joanna Heijmer
Using a clear 'engage - practice - communicate' approach in every lesson, Starlight’s lively stories, songs, projects, CLIL lessons and high-level course syllabus help students master the language they need for exams and develop their 21st century skills.
- Language Level: 6 levels (pre-A1 – B1)
Starlight is an engaging story-based course with a fresh, modern design.
Every lesson in Starlight follows a clear Engage – Practice – Communicate approach. Lively and imaginative stories with lovable characters introduce new language in every unit, and songs, role plays and games give students plenty of opportunities to practise new vocabulary and grammar, and communicate with one another.
Exciting projects, CLIL lessons and cross-curricular videos link English to the world outside the classroom and develop students' 21st century skills.
The carefully-designed grammar, vocabulary and skills syllabus ensures that students develop the language they need for success in Cambridge Young Learner and KET examinations.
The flexible teaching package offers an array of easy-to-use support resources, providing students with lots of opportunities to practise and consolidate their learning.
- Student Book
- Class Audio CDs
- Classroom Presentation Tool – Forthcoming
- Teacher's Resource Pack (Levels 1-4)
- Poster Pack (Levels 5-6)
- Student's Website
- Teacher's Website
- Every lesson follows the 'engage-practice-communicate' approach
- Lively and imaginative stories capture students’ attention and introduce new language in a meaningful context
- Rich video content, including fun animated stories and cross-curricular clips, enhances lessons and brings English to life
- Carefully-designed grammar, vocabulary and skills syllabus ensures that students develop the language they need for exams
- The syllabus reflects the language and skills requirements of Cambridge English: Young Learners examinations (Starters, Movers, Flyers) and Cambridge English: Key for schools (KET)
- Projects, CLIL lessons and cross-curricular videos motivate students by linking English to their world outside the classroom
- Projects encourage critical thinking, creativity, communication and collaboration – developing children’s 21st century skills
- Values lessons in every unit promote self-esteem, positive attitudes, tolerance, and respect
- Phonics sections in every unit present and practise sounds and letters, helping to develop children's phonics skills and pronunciation
- Culture pages with full-colour photos increase students' intercultural awareness
- Flexible teaching package offers an array of support resources, including a Classroom Presentation Tool, posters, worksheets, tests, test audio, CLIL videos, and flashcards
- Classroom Presentation Tool delivers heads-up learning
The lively and imaginative stories capture students’ attention and introduce new language in a meaningful context. Visual vocabulary presentations, story cards and activities activate students’ existing knowledge, and encourage creativity and critical thinking.
A variety of contexts and songs, projects and communicative pair work give students plenty of opportunities to practise new vocabulary and grammar.
CLIL lessons are consolidated and practised through listening activities and personalised communication games in the Student Book, as well as further activities in the Workbook.
The Workbook provides plenty of extra practice of the vocabulary and grammar learnt in every unit. Lots of the activities are personalized, and extension activities keep faster learners motivated.
Role plays, games, projects, and group or paired speaking activities provide opportunities for students to communicate with one another.
A carefully-designed grammar, vocabulary and skills syllabus ensures that students develop the language they need for exams
Starlight’s high-level course syllabus covers a wide range of grammatical structures and vocabulary in line with the Cambridge Young Learner and KET examinations.
The integrated approach to language and skills development focuses on fluency and accuracy. Systematic recycling of all core language in every unit through review lessons are designed to elicit all unit language from students in preparation for their exams.
Projects, CLIL lessons and cross-curricular videos motivate students by linking English to their world outside the classroom
Motivating CLIL lessons and projects encourage critical thinking, creativity, communication and collaboration, developing children’s 21st century skills.
Culture pages offer the opportunity to transfer useful, practical English language to a range of different areas of the school curriculum such as Art, Music, Science, Geography, History and Maths. The colourful culture pages have real photos to increase student’s intercultural awareness.
The course offers rich video content with animated stories and cross-curricular clips that resemble authentic materials, bringing English to life.
A Project and Value Lesson in every unit integrates socio-cultural aspects of learning and promotes self-esteem, positive attitude, tolerance and respect. The Project and Value Lesson is an active, hands-on, long-form task in which students develop an item or skills that will be useful in real life. The lesson also introduces a civic value that connects to the unit topics. The project has tie-ins to the civic value, the CLIL lesson, the unit grammar structures, and/or the unit vocabulary.
The project development makes it easy to practise the 21st century skills of critical thinking, collaboration, communication, and creativity in the classroom.
Flexible teaching package offers an array of support resources
Posters, flashcards and story cards in the Teacher's Resource Pack offer opportunities for students to connect with the content and review vocabulary.
The Classroom Presentation Tool delivers heads-up learning.
The student’s website with interactive games, story animations, audio and downloadable resources extends students' contact with the language outside the classroom.
Online resources for teachers include tests, extra worksheets and flashcards, and word cards.
Online resources for students:
- Story animations
- Downloadable craft activities To access the Starlight Online Play website, go to: www.oup.com/elt/starlight
Online resources for teachers:
- Extra flashcards and word cards (Levels 1-2)
- Extra flashcards, word cards, cross-curricular cards and story cards (Levels 3-4)
- Word cards (Levels 5-6)
To access the Starlight Teacher's Website, go to: www.oup.com/elt/teacher/starlight. All the worksheets, tests and test audio from the Teacher Resource CD can also be downloaded via the access code on the inside cover of the Teacher’s Toolkit.