Essays and Research
Marcia Kim and Jennifer MacDonald
The series is designed for the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) writing courses that prepare students from non-English speaking backgrounds for mainstream college and university level studies. The series acts as a bridge into the heavy writing demands of post-secondary education.
- Authentic content from Canadian textbooks helps students prepare for future academic studies.
- Realistic writing models and methodical practice empower students to become accomplished writers in multiple rhetorical patterns.
- Sentence skills, grammar skills, and composition skills help students understand and apply key writing skills.
- Step-by-step writing tasks take students reliably through the entire writing process.
- Preventing plagiarism strategies in each unit help students master the art of citing, paraphrasing, referencing, and summarizing.
- Systematic vocabulary instruction in each unit covers the AWL and extends into mid-frequency words, helping students acquire a rich and comprehensive vocabulary base.
- Critical Thinking Skills and Learning Strategies increase students' engagement, comprehension and success.
- Language Tips in each unit help students master essential words, phrases and expressions related to the rhetorical patterns being studied.
- Flexible units allow teachers and students to focus solely on the academic writing goals or also delve into the academic readings and vocabulary instruction.
A complete teacher's resource will be available online.
- Unit 1 Education: Learning an Additional Language
EXPLORING IDEAS: Standard Paragraph and Essay Structure
ACADEMIC READING: Using the Frequency Principle and the Academic Word List
PROCESS FUNDAMENTALS: Writing Basic Thesis Statements
WRITING FUNDAMENTALS: Maintaining Paragraph Unity
UNIT OUTCOME: Standard Essay
- Unit 2 Ecology: Canadian Ecosystems
EXPLORING IDEAS: Cause and Effect
ACADEMIC READING: Understanding Word Forms
PROCESS FUNDAMENTALS: Writing Cause-and-Effect Thesis Statements
WRITING FUNDAMENTALS: Achieving Coherence
UNIT OUTCOME: Cause-and-Effect Essay
- Unit 3 Health Sciences: Health and Wellness in Canada
EXPLORING IDEAS: Summary and Response
ACADEMIC READING: Recognizing Prefixes and Suffixes
PROCESS FUNDAMENTALS: Writing Summary-and-Response Thesis Statements
WRITING FUNDAMENTALS: Developing Supporting Ideas
UNIT OUTCOME: Summary-and-Response Essay
- Unit 4 Science and Engineering: Technological Processes
EXPLORING IDEAS: Process
ACADEMIC READING: Recognizing Collocations
PROCESS FUNDAMENTALS: Writing Process Thesis Statements
WRITING FUNDAMENTALS: Quoting and Paraphrasing
UNIT OUTCOME: Process Essay
- Unit 5 Geography: Canadian Regional Geography
EXPLORING IDEAS: Compare and Contrast
ACADEMIC READING: Ensuring Variation
PROCESS FUNDAMENTALS: Writing Compare-and-Contrast Thesis Statements
WRITING FUNDAMENTALS: Organizing Supporting Ideas
UNIT OUTCOME: Compare-and-Contrast Essay
- Unit 6 Business: Marketing in Canada
EXPLORING IDEAS: Persuasion
ACADEMIC READING: Writing with Precision
PROCESS FUNDAMENTALS: Writing Persuasive Thesis Statements
WRITING FUNDAMENTALS: Blending Rhetorical Patterns
UNIT OUTCOME: Persuasive Essay