"The Oxford Placement Test has been the favourite placement test in the Colombian Higher Education context for many years. It has provided institutions with accurate and reliable results for thousands of students."
– Leopoldo Pinzón Escobar, Universidad Santo Tomás, Colombia
Oxford Placement Test
Test your students' English level quickly and easily with the Oxford Placement Test, which has helped place millions of students in the right class.
- Suitable for upper secondary and adult learners.
- 100% online so students can take it at home or at school.
- Automatically marked with instant results so you can start teaching the same day.
- Learning Management System makes it easy to set up tests and manage results.
- Computer adaptive technology gives more precise results than traditional placement tests.
- Results include CEFR level (Pre-A1 to C2), a score out of 120, and the time taken.
- Report cards include results for each section, a score guide and information on communicative competencies.
Ideal for home use
The Oxford Placement Test is ideal for testing students who are studying remotely. Clear guides for teachers and learners provide step-by-step support through every stage of taking the test.
What it tests
The Oxford Placement Test has two sections – Use of English and Listening.
The Use of English section assesses students' knowledge of grammatical form and vocabulary.
The Listening section assesses students’ general listening ability.
Both sections test how well students understand the meaning of what is being communicated, which is an excellent indicator of general language ability.
British or American English
The test is available in British and American English in four different combinations: 100% British English, 100% American English or a mix. For total flexibility, you don’t have to choose the combination until you set up the test.
|Section||Combination 1||Combination 2||Combination 3||Combination 4|
|Use of English|
How it works
The Oxford Placement Test is computer adaptive, which means that the test adjusts the difficulty of questions based on the student’s responses. This makes it more motivating and ensures that it gives a more precise measurement than traditional placement tests.
Answers are automatically marked after each task, giving you an instant result once the test is complete.
Setting up a test
The Learning Management System (LMS) makes it easy to set up tests. You can:
- create different placement groups or classes
- specify a time or date range when the test must be taken
- email sign in details and passwords to all your test takers, in one go
- print sign in slips to give to students
- choose how long test takers have to complete the test (between 50-90 minutes), depending on their ability
- get updates when test takers have completed their tests and see in real time which tests are in progress, have been submitted, or are yet to be started.
Students will need a computer with good internet access and headphones. For more details please see the System Requirements. If there is a break in internet connection during the test, the system will stop timing the test taker and continue when they sign in again to resume the test.