Teaching with Bear
introduces you to a new approach in your English lessons. It shows you how using a puppet as a language assistant and as a learner will motivate your classes to learn more English.
Find out how to:
- stage a lesson using a puppet
- involve a puppet in listening, speaking, reading and writing activities
- use a puppet to connect with other areas of the curriculum in your English lessons
- support inclusion of all children.
Teaching with Bear also includes:
- teaching tasks to accompany the DVD
- interviews with the author and participating teachers
- thinking about language sections to encourage awareness of your own use of English
- reviews at the end of every unit to help you reflect and plan
- a useful resources section.
The accompanying DVD includes interviews with teacher trainer and author Mary Slattery, real classroom extracts of teachers using Bear, and lots of activities and practical ideas.
Select the section of the DVD you would like to view:
Meet the author
Mary Slattery has taught children and adults at all levels and worked on teacher development programmes at university level. Working with teachers and visiting schools has always been her greatest inspiration and has allowed her to research language learning through stories, visual arts, and puppetry. Mary is co-author of the award-winning English for Primary Teachers, and author of Vocabulary Activities in the Oxford Basics for Children series.